Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP, SP2 Issue

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I have sent for Tonto

Advertisements

naeby

naeby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Tonto? Can I check back in the morning?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hardware Moderator

Yes you can check back, it is 05:22 here

naeby

naeby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
1023 pm here (north dakota, USA) thank you so much for your help and Happy New Year.

UPDATE: we shut the laptop off and turned it back on and it booted up. It is moving very slow.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you know how much Ram memory is installed

naeby

naeby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
1G

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That is plenty, see if you can get tune up from post 43 here

http://www.geekstogo...s...st&p=870798

naeby

naeby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
HI! (wish i was, jk) Um, the system checkpoint that I had made is not there....I am going to call it a night and will check back here in the morning. I think we will cry ourselves to sleep :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you get back to it, tune up will check for a few things, it is a trial but one which will fix anything it finds

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello naeby...

Where do we stand when starting the machine now? Does it still halt at the black screen with the blinking cursor? This one sounds a bit like a corrupt file system or even a flaky partition.

Let me know if you are able to boot to Windows so I know how to proceed.

wannabe1

Advertisements

naeby

naeby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
This morning the computer booted up fine, but sluggish. After leaving it set I came back to it just now to start working and theres a pop up box: "SMSystemAnalyzer.exe" Stating "SMSystemAnalyzer.exe has encoutered a problem and needs to close. " and the standard tell MS about this problem.

I have sent the error report and am going to begin updating Win XP. My concern is there is more wrong than the SP2. We just want to be able to get this up and running and usable (doesn't everyone I know.) My hubby is leaving Wed. for California and and would like to have functionality restored at least to the point we were at before he downloaded SP2 and all these problems began.

Please let me know if there are things I should check, I am going to begin with Keith's post #43 and run windows updates and the like.

thanks,
naeby

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I am convinced that the only problem with the computer is the unsuccessful installation of sp2. Quite often, when installed on older computers, long after xp was originally installed, it creates havoc. For this reason, when I format a computer I install sp2 and other updates before I install any application. If you tried to uninstall sp2 and still have all these problems then my experience shows that the fastest (probably the only) way to fix the computer is by formatting and starting afresh.

naeby

naeby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
my brother in law also has recommended a format and start over approach. Keith what's your opinion on formatting?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got any data you need to back up?

Have you got all the product keys, serial numbers for any programmes you want to install, along with the software CD's or download links

naeby

naeby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
we haven't put anything on it but some ripped music cds. Aside from the programs that came with the system (MS Office or Works) there isn't anything of importance. The computer is new to us so there are currently no files that we need.

What is the timeframe involved? Is it more time consuming than what I've been doing (ie downloading updates 5 at a time, reboot, repeat)?

opinion welcome :whistling: