Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE won't even load

• Please log in to reply

njlock

njlock

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
OK this is my grandaughters (13) computer. its a dell 2400, probrablyy 2-3 years old, I don't know
exactly which version of IE is on it, I'm guessing 5.? or 6.?. it runs XP. She has'nt had an internet connection for over a year, now she has a wireless connection, and she's getting a signal and can connect to the internet. I know this because, I got all the microsoft updates downloaded (well some/most?) and she can sign on to her (my) AOL account, and chat, but the IE explorer link on desktop won't do anything, and I can't get the AOL browser to open either. I'm a closet geek, low level, I am the computer guy for my family and friends, as I am on my computers at my business most of the day and have learned by painfull hour after hour of figuring out what works, and occasionally asking for help in this forum and whatever other sources I can access. So anyway I have some experience with installing/troubleshooting misc. programs/problems. With that said, I'm thinking maybe a corrupt browser file? IE & or AOL? should I attempt to delete both and then install a fresh version of IE & AOL? Or is there something simpler I may be missing? I have'nt spent much time on this yet as when I was last there I concentrated on getting MS updates, and upgrading her anti-virus software, and all the downloads & virus scans were using up the resources (and my time), so I figured I'd let it finish the virus scan, and come back another day to mess with the browser problem, and I'd like to go back with a plan.
Thanks, and
Happy New Years!!!!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Microsoft Update usually insists on using IE

Can she try this, no need for you to be there

Go to Microsoft Update, let it load, then type any other url in to the address bar and press enter

What does it do, does it return any errors

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
Actually when I was getting the updates, it did open a browser and it looked normal, and I actuall searched for IE 7 and was attempting to download it, while doing the other updates, I had a lot of stuff downloading and installing at the same time, so I stepped away and left it to finish, I need to try to see if it will get back to an explorer browser from the windows update thing. I'll let you know when I go, my grandaughter is great for "My Space" and her stuff, other than that she plays dumb. Another thing I'm thinking, I seem to remember, when she had a dial up connection a couple of years ago, and she had to go online with AOL, there may have been some kind of AOL Parental controls that won't let her open am IE browser? But even in the AOL program I could'nt get any kind of browser going.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could download it, save it to disc and load it on to hers?

http://www.microsoft...ds/default.mspx

Another thing you may want to do the same with

http://www.tune-up.com/

The trial will fix anything it finds

Prefetch is clickable for more information

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Reboot

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run defragmenter

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2007 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Check the anti virus programme is running

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

Click optimize and improve then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

If the connection is broadband now, you could disable the dial up one

Check the firewall isn't blocking anything

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
OK will give it a shot and get back to you. This is also obviously a general tune up for any computer? And I can do it to all my computers?
Thanks a lot!!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Any computer, most if not all versions of windows

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
double post!!!!!!

Edited by njlock, 13 January 2007 - 06:15 PM.

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
Feedback; I uninstalled IE (that did'nt work), and it reverted back to an older version of IE that did work!! All is good, and will continue with the tune up as specified
THANKS!!!!!!