Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

memory question

• Please log in to reply

mrq201

mrq201

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
i just installed two 512 chips into an hp 515n, and the monitor is not switching on. Does anyone know what this means??

Advertisements

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
i dont know how old the mobo is but it might not support 1 gig, that or the speed is too high. take 1 stick out and see if you have video

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
i did a little search it supports 1 gig max, whats the pc speed of the ram?

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
pc2100...... two separate 256 sticks.....this is for the 503n... i installed one 256 stick and it worked... now im going to install the other pc2100 stick and ill let u know what happens

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
is it 256 or 512? at top you said they are 2 512's now 2 256's?

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
the two 512's are for the 515n.. my bad
the two 256's are for the 503n..

both of them was doing the same thing.. where the monitor did not boot up or power up

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
ok the 503n powered up and is working...
the two 256 sticks worked.. now i am going to try the 515n with the two 512 sticks

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
the 515 supports 1 gig im not sure about the 503 ill look it up here in a bit. try the 2 256's in the 515

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
yeah the 503 is running perfectly... now im about to install the other 512 chip into the 515... will let u know what happens

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
to what ive found the 503n supports 2 gig

Advertisements

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
whoa.. i didnt know that.. i thought the 515 supported more ram... im switching computers because the 515 has a faster processor, although it is a cele..

which do u think is a better computer... keep in mind that i added a dvdrom to the 503 and it has two harddrives..... a 80 gig and a 40 gig

that is why i wanted to switch the 80 gig from the 503 to the 515 so i can have a 160 gig.... what are your thoughts??

oh and the 515 worked with the 2 512's...

its making a whirring noise tho.. any ideas why?

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
you may be able to switch processors, were they the same socket? what size hdd is in the 515? both the same OS? what watt is each PS in each computer? what ever you decide keep the other as a spare

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
the 515 has a 80 gig harddrive but ill be buying another one for it soon enough or i will remove the 80 gig from the 503

how do i find out what the watt is.. thats one thing i have never been able to find out....

i dont think i will switch processors tho but i think ill stick with the 515 because i will be upgrading the harddrive sooner than later..

but i want to know how to eliminate that noise that the 515 makes

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
for the noise check all the fans, you can stick with the 515 if you want thats all up to you. the watt is on the side of the PS

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
when you say check the fans, what do u mean? unplug, plug something???