Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

8X AGP videocard in a 4X AGP motherboard?

• Please log in to reply

Angel of Light

Angel of Light

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I currently have an ECS Elitegroup K7SEM (V3.0C) motherboard and I want to install a GeForce FX 5200 8x AGP dual monitor graphics card.

The problem is that the card only works at 8x AGP and the motherboard only supports 4x AGP. Is there a way to make it work or is this a lost cause?

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. You know, I did the exact same thing, and while it might have just been bad luck, I'm going to try and steer you away from that. I tried that exact card in my old Gateway computer, and NVIDIA said that 8X would adjust to meet 4X standards, and I don't think it did, because now that computer gets blue screens constantly, and cannot run games. It fried something in there... My advice is to just wait until you can save-up enough to buy a computer with more updated products. Like I said earlier, it's not a death sentence to try, but I don't want to see anyone have the same problem I did...

Angel of Light

Angel of Light

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
It's not a problem with saving up to buy better, it's just that that motherboard is in fine working order and I need a dual monitor card... and they stopped making 4x AGP cards. Thanks for the tip, though, I'll tell the client I'm building the machine for.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, before you give up hope though, wait for some more opinions. That's just my experience. Someone else might be able to debate that opinion.

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I had the same experience when I tried upgrading my last AGP computer. A 4x slot with an 8x AGP card.

It worked fine in just windows but....

My (up til then) stable computer would just freeze right up whenever I went to play a 3d game. Happened constantly. I even tried upgrading to a PSU that far exceeded the new video card needs.

Ended up putting my old card in and living with it.

Angel of Light

Angel of Light

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Issue resolved, can someone close this?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
We leave the threads open in case a problem happens again and its easy for people to find in a search for the same problem. They make an fx5200 in 8x/4x AGP ive got one that works fine if you are interested.

Angel of Light

Angel of Light

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks for the offer, but I've already found something that will work. And I didn't realize why you left the threads open... learn something new every day.