Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

too many processes running

• Please log in to reply

dookie270

dookie270

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I've noticed that when i dont have anything open on my computer i have about 58 processes running when im the only one logged in. Is that too many?

Also, i downloaded that system spec program that was stickied in the gaming section and it told me that my computer was using 50% of ram. Is that something i should be worried about since I've got 1 gig of ram?

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, I don't think 58 processes are too many. You can probably eliminate a few more if you don't use Instant Messengers, etc. I think it's reasonable though. As for RAM use, I'm not so sure on that. It seems a little much, but I'm really not sure how much of that is just system based, so I really can't say with confidence how much that really is. What applications are you running? Any instant messengers? Calling applications such as Skype?

dookie270

dookie270

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
well the ones on task manager that are running over 10,000K of memory are: ccApp.exe(which im pretty sure is something with norton), vsmon.exe(dont know what that is), svchost.exe and firefox when its running is like almost 40,000K. I guess the reason theres so much memory being used is because im running norton..?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, we'll have to research that... The processes you listed are safe. I know from experience that the first one is Norton related. Here's results for the rest...

http://www.processli...files=vsmon.exe

http://www.processli...les=svchost.exe

dookie270

dookie270

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
thats a pretty cool web site ya got there. Yeah im pretty sure all the processes that i have running are safe...i just dont want 50% of my ram being used up when nothing is opened on my computer. I did install a bunch of maintenance programs like ccleaner, zone alarm, ad aware, win defender so i may have to cut back on some of them to let some ram free, or maybe i'll just buy another gig of it

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Buying another gig of RAM would give you more space but you do relise that only one program can use 2 gigs max so if everytime you think your using to much ram you eventually get like 8 gigs but only 2 gig can be used per program.

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
You could do what I do when ever I start a game or a high RAM using program. End all processes but explorer.exe and system processes., Then only open anti virus program and what ever else your using.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
i try to keep it under 30 processes, usually 21

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
I have multiple processes running like CLI.exe 3 times (Graphics process) so i have currently 36 but when i play a game i will have something like 12.

surfer99

surfer99

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
hmm the ram total is not that bad for that many processes i would say its more then normal just had a look around and the 3 computers that are mainly used for web surfing / email have 38 on them and my personal "gaming rig" has about 15-20, but if your using a laptop the number goes up fast (you got touchpad/trackpoint/on screen messages etc) so if its a laptop no problem at all if its a desktop id say its alot.
Assuming ofcourse the number is straight after windows boot before you launch any programs?

on my work machine while working i got about 72 for comparison :whistling: