Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop SLOW!

• Please log in to reply

Ben Loosli

Ben Loosli

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have my son's laptop and it is painfully slow.
3-5 minutes just to delete a file from the desktop, etc.
15 minutes before I can do anything on it after I log in, etc.

When I tried to create a system restore point, it failed with a message that a file was missing.
I ran ATF cleaner, it took about 10 minutes. I am now trying to run AVG, but it just loads and sits there.
I think there are system files missing as I get a CRC when I try to assign an icon to a user id, and other simple tasks.
I am to the point where it may be easier to just reformat the drive and reload the OS and applications.

Do you have any suggestions to help me avoid this step?

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
What are the specs on the computer? Processor, RAM, hard drive (capacity, used and free space),.. ?

Ben Loosli

Ben Loosli

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Dell Inspirion 6000
PROCESSOR, 80536, PENTIUM M DOTHAN, Pentium M Dothan, 1.6GHZ, 2 MEGB, 533FSB
HARD DRIVE, 60GB, 9.5, 5.4K, LEAD FREE, FUJITSU, ZEUS 60 HDD
DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 512MB, 400, 64X64, 8K, 200

Hard Drive: 16.8 GB used, 34.9GB Free

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
If you feel you are missing files and you have your Recovery disk I would suggest running sfc /scannow from Run.

guiltyparty

guiltyparty

• Pip
  • 6 posts
The only other idea that I have is that you could have a virus but like the other guy said you could have some problems with you XP setup.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
try booting into safe mode. press f8 as it's booting up. can you run AVG from safe mode?

If that's a no go here's a way to run restore from a c: prompt:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

Ben Loosli

Ben Loosli

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The SFC did not help. The files in the c:\Windows\System32 folder stop at odbctrac.dll, everything else has been deleted.

I guess I have no choice but to boot to the CD, and reformat the HD and reload the OS.
I tried the repair option, but I only have SP1a CD's and the OS has been upgraded to SP2.