Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Zune Help

• Please log in to reply

patrick.

patrick.

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello.. let me start by trying to explain just what happens:

The Zune is Microsoft's new MP3 player, and connects to the PC via a usb cable. When I try to synchronize my media library with my Zune, aka transfer stuff to my Zune, the first item in the queue to be transferred will reach "Sychronizing... 100%" in its status, but then the software will hang there at 100%, never transferring the song, until it finally stops and gives up. I tried synchronizing only images, and these transferred without fail, to and from the Zune device. I supposed then that size might be an issue, and transferred a single 60kb image, which also transferred without fail. I tried then to transfer a 50kb mp3 file, and it didn't work. I reached "100% Sychronizing" and it hung again as before.

Anyway, so that ought to illustrate the problem.

I suspected the zune software, so in troubleshooting, I uninstalled the software, deleted my cache, and reinstalled. This didn't work. I called Zune tech support, they had me do the same thing again---reinstall---but this did not work. We proceeded to uninstall the firmware on the Zune device itself, and when we tried to update/reinstall the firmware, the firmware update failed, and I'm certain now that this was because my PC could not successfully transfer the firmware to the device. At this point, this problem was beyond the Zune tech support troubleshooting so they referred me to a "tier 2" tech support agent whom referred the problem to the development team to come up with something that he told me would be posted on the Support website in 48hrs.. that didn't happen.

After 48 hours, I called tech support again and this particular agent told me I ought to return the Zune and get another... that it may be defective. I agreed, and returned for a new Zune. The new Zune changed nothing; I could synchronize images, but songs would hang at 100% synchronizing status.. I installed the Zune software on my mother's PC and connected the Zune---it worked perfectly. Everything synchronized perfectly.

The next thing I did was reformat my computer. I had gotten a 2GB USB flash drive for Xmas, so I put that to use saving some docs off my computer, and went ahead and erased my partition then reformatted/reinstalled windows xp.... Several hours later I am back to XP SP2 with all the windows updates and my basic software installed.... I reinstall the Zune software from the web, but alas, same problem.

I really hope this sounds like a USB driver/hardware issue, because at this point I don't know what else could possibly be keeping my Zune/Zune software from working.

Let me give you some info...
http://www.biostar-u...asp?model=m7vit <--- my mobo

This is whats listed in Device Manager for USB:
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller

None of those have any problems listed in their respective [Properties].

The USB flash drive is also dysfunctional. It loads properly, I suppose, and I can see it as another disk drive in My Computer, and before I could observe all the files on it... but if I tried to drag an entire folder of files to my desktop, I would get some sort of "source file" error. I tried moving small .txt files by themselves, and they transferred fine. I regret I can't tell you the "source file" error, because the usb storage device grew more temperamental and now my computer slows to a crawl when I plug the device in, and now the explorer window stops responding if I try and load the E: flash drive folder. Likewise, this flash drive connects to my mother's PC fine and transfers files without fail. This seems related to the Zune problem, in my opinion.

Anyway, I have a USB wireless adapter for my internet running right now, and that has always worked great. My printer connects via USB and that works, too, although I do not have it connected at the moment.

THX for any help!

Edited by patrick., 30 December 2006 - 10:02 PM.

Advertisements

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hey patrick,

Have you:

1. Updated all driver USB drivers everything.
2. Tryed to use the MP3 player to a different USB drive?

patrick.

patrick.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hey patrick,

Have you:

1. Updated all driver USB drivers everything.
2. Tryed to use the MP3 player to a different USB drive?

1. I believe xp service pack 2 includes usb 2.0 drivers update?
2. a different port? yes.

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Have you tryed using Window Media Player to sync your mp3

(I find I have to do this with my PPC for mp3's)

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
OK, I will be right back but I'm trying to research your problem.

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Ok, First things first, Do you have the firmware 1.2 Update?

Edited by Jazza, 30 December 2006 - 11:03 PM.

patrick.

patrick.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Ok, First things first, Do you have the firmware 1.2 Update?

Yes

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Are you trying to plug the MP3 player into the front or back USB ports?

patrick.

patrick.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Are you trying to plug the MP3 player into the front or back USB ports?

Back port.

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Advertisements

patrick.

patrick.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

No good. I don't think WMP is compatible.

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
If you change the setting it will convert the WMP files to mp3 when is sync the device.

patrick.

patrick.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

If you change the setting it will convert the WMP files to mp3 when is sync the device.

WMP doesn't detect the Zune device. I think it is only compatible with the Zune software.

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Have you tried a different program that will do the same thing

patrick.

patrick.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Have you tried a different program that will do the same thing

I'm not interested in another program that can do the same thing.. I think I can only use Zune software to synchronize songs downloaded from the Zune marketplace b/c of DRM. Furthermore, using a different program to synchronize wouldn't help me update firmware, either. Basically, I need to fix things so I can use the Zune software to synchronize.