Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mother Board upgrade = Lost partitions

• Please log in to reply

NeilShaq

NeilShaq

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi All,

I have just replaced my motherboard as the old one stopped working.

After changing the boot sequence and booting from the XP CD, i was looking to install windows on the old small partition and retain all the info on the old large partition. Through my lack of understanding and serious operator error it looks like i have managed to delete the partitions and install windows on a totally new partition. Not the best outcome.

I have downloaded a copy of a program called Test disk, i am currently running the program and after some searching it finds one of the previous partitions, the one with all the data i need!

I was reading the instructions (for test disk) and it said to be very careful what i change when trying to recover a partition as it may make it harder to recover in the future if you stuff it up now.

As some of the data is very important, and i realise i need help. That is where i ask you friendly people very nicely to please help.

Thanks,

Neil

Advertisements

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I am sure some people are going to suggest some products or downloads to you that can recover files.

My advice is that until they do you do nothing like defragging, and infact, use your computer as little as possible.

The data is still on your disk, but it is not "indexed" so is unreadable by normal means. But if you go using alot of programs or installing things, everytime you write to the hard drive there is a chance you will write overtop the data you are trying to save.

I am sure someone will suggest a good recovery method to you but my advice is to use your computer as little as possible until then.

NeilShaq

NeilShaq

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Serrik,

I have taken the hard drive out and installed windows on an old hard drive - that is what i am running on now.

The other hard drive is not being used at all.

I have a partition recovery tool called Test Disk but i am not sure how to use it properly.

It finds the old partition i want - just got to get it back now.

Thanks,

Neil