Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

liteon dvd rom issues

• Please log in to reply

SlitNek

SlitNek

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
this may be hardware or software but i cant track down the problem

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
2.40 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
1024 Megabytes Memory
**LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1693S

this is a new machine i just threw together from customers leftovers and took the old drives from the old computer and installed them here

before i built a new machine i could backup my movies, find the information on them and so forth
since i have installed a new OS i cannot backup my movies, my software is the same as before no new patches or updates, the OS is all up-to-date and the drive does play dvd's, burns dvd's, and so forth with cd's. with that said, here are the actions i have taken to fix this issue.

1. flash bios *just encase*
2. flash firmware for LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1693S *original firmware was KS09 -> new flash KS0B
3. updated software all that was available to update

when i run power dvd 7, the dvd hiccups a couple times until the film starts *after main menu*
if i try to access the dvd with any of the following pieces of software the software freezes and must be manually shut down

dvdshrink
dvd region + css free
dvd x copy xpress
clone dvd
nero ultra 7

the software is fully functional unless i try to access a dvd, this includes previously backed up dvds with no encryption left on the disk

any suggestions?

btw, i think there is something just goofy with this computer because sometimes for no reason *the computer is not receiving any abnormal stress* the computer freezes and must me turned off

-AND- my laptop needed a reinstall as well, xps gen 2 xp home sp2 and again nothing installed but WoW and dvdshrink, surprise surprise it doesnt work over there either

Edited by SlitNek, 31 December 2006 - 12:36 AM.

Advertisements

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I beleive it is against the terms of service here for anyone to help you with your copied, or "backed up" as you call them, DVDs or software that creates them.

Unless I see a Geeks to Go moderator post and say it is OK I don't think I can try to suggest anything.

SlitNek

SlitNek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
ohhhh, i was not aware that i could not back up my own movies here on this forum.. i knew there was tight rules here but ok, nvm i will fix this myself..

btw in the "Geeks to Go Support Forum Rules, Policies and Disclaimers" it does not mention that i cannot ask about any software inwich i use for my own purpose BESIDES illigal software warez and so forth. so by the guidelines given i am staying within the boundaries

if this is still an issue, i dont need help burning ripping my own movies i am having trouble with the drive alone... it wont even play the movie using power dvd 7 deluxe withought serious hiccups *if i skip to the root menu it locks up like the other software does*

and i will repeat these movies are not burned or copied they are the originals that will not read, thinking -maby- there is a new encryption or something not compadible with the dvdlib i tried a previously backed up movie this does the same thing

Edited by SlitNek, 31 December 2006 - 11:59 AM.

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
OK OK I did not mean to upset you.

I misunderstood, I thought it was ONLY the burned movies you had trouble with.

Secondly, I do not know the law where you live but the vast majority of of people not allowed to legally backup movies. Copying movies without express permission from the copyright owner, for most of us, is illegal. And in many places, helping someone do so is also illegal.

I wanted to try to help you but I didn't want to risk violating Geeks to Go policy to do so. The terms of use specifically state "You agree: (1) to comply with all laws, rules and other regulations applicable to your use of the Services; (2) not to use the Services for illegal purposes;..."

I don't think I was out of line for asking for moderator permission to start providing advice, given the above reasons. "When in doubt, ask" is usually a good policy.

SlitNek

SlitNek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
sry, i didnt mean to get snappy but every time i ask a question either here or anywhere i get my head skewed off for questions on my intent and i am getting aggravated with it.. the last time i asked a question here they made a smash post out of it and made me validate both my OS before answering my question

i live in Florida US, if i understand correctly, i cannot copy movies i do -not- own and by own this means that you did not rent from a video store or borrow from someone, because this would be stealing. as long as you have purchased the dvd you may make a copy for personal enjoyment but any intent to redistribute for profit or just give away is yet again stealing

honestly, if it were not for copies that i let my kids watch i would never have a dvd for more then 3 days. they dont take care of them, they throw them around the house, step on them, etc. i have my closet full of the origs and the kids rooms / living room has the copies for obvious reasons

Edited by SlitNek, 31 December 2006 - 01:07 PM.

SlitNek

SlitNek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
anyone?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
They put macrovision on commercially produced DVDs as copyright protection. GTG cannot assist in any way with your endeavor to overcome copyright protection.

SlitNek

SlitNek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
OMG how many times do i have to say it, i dont care if i can copy the [bleep]ing things i just want my drive to work correctly! everything here is questionably illegal and never answered.. is that how you schmooze out of answering anything on these forums?!?!?

SlitNek

SlitNek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
BTW, for anyone who finds this and needs the answer that the [bleep] here wont give up, make sure that your motherboard drivers come from the manufacturer and not from anywhere on the net, epox has a problem with supporting their junk they sell