Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Freezing At Random [Fixed]

• Please log in to reply

Dark One 123

Dark One 123

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I have upgraded my MB/CPU + FAN/PSU/Graphics Card 5 weeks ago, I did a XP Repair I had to remove the 512MB RAM stick which caused problems but I put it back in when XP was installed and everything was working fine until few days ago when my PC started to freeze randomly, I thought it was because CPU overheating, so I cleaned the Fans, and removed the overclocking I done, it did get the temp from 59C down to 53C as it stands now, I thought I fixed it but I left my PC on last night doing nothing but it still froze. I checked the Event Logs and nothing was added to it. I done a Spyware scan today with the CPU Temp showing, it went up to 64C and it still didn't freeze so I am guess its not CPU overheating since last night it should not have frozen since it was doing nothing. I am thinking its the RAM but before it started to freeze I ordered DDR2 1GB RAM (since that was the last thing left to upgrade) so I will leave that to last. I really do think it is something overheating but what else could it be?

Thanks

EDIT: I opened the case up and everything except my Hard Drives were nice and cool, I think the HDDs are the ones overheating. [bleep] since its Sunday I cannot buy fan to put in there.

Edited by Dark One 123, 29 January 2007 - 06:20 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
How many fans do you have, not including the one over the CPU, in your case and where are they located? Also, which direction is the airflow? You should have AT LEAST one fan in the front blowing air IN and a fan at the back blowing air OUT.

Also please do the following:

Download Speedfan (The download link is in the first line of the second paragraph), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

Posted Image

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 31 December 2006 - 08:04 AM.

Dark One 123

Dark One 123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Posted Image

I only got the Fan for the CPU and for the PSU. I was going to buy 2 Fans 1 for the front and 1 for the back but everywhere is closed till tomorrow. Guess the CPU is too hot.

I also got PC Probe II and it shows more.

CPU: 54C
MB: 41C
PWR: 47C
CPU: 2149RPM
+5: 5.16V
+12: 12.04V
Vcore: 1.28V
+3.3: 3.30V

Edited by Dark One 123, 01 January 2007 - 05:35 AM.

Dark One 123

Dark One 123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I bought 2 Fans today (has made my PC louder now :whistling: ) and here are the results;
Posted Image
All of them temperatures have gone down :blink: except for the AUX, what is the AUX ?
Is there a way I can control the speed of the System Fans at night so it is quieter ?
The Fan at the front cannot suck in a lot of air because the space at the bottom of the case is not big, I was thinking of switching the fans around so the fan at the back sucks in air and the one at the front blows it out.

Edited by Dark One 123, 02 January 2007 - 07:33 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
No leave the fans the way they are. The fan in back is higher vertically in relation to the one in the front, so if you switched them, they wouldn't work right since hot air rises.

As for the noise of the computer, that is normal when you take into account you have basically tripled the amount of fans in your system. You will get used to it.

As for Aux, it could be a number of things. It could be another sensor on the motherboard, or it could be a sensor on your video card.

Definitely like the fact that the temperatures have decreased, especially the CPU and most notably the HDD's, both of the HDD's have dropped about 20 degrees.

Now for your initial problem... Is your computer still freezing at random? If so is it freezing less often? What are you doing now when it freezes? Playing a game, surfing the net, working in Notepad/Word?

Fenor

Dark One 123

Dark One 123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks Fenor, you have a great help.
Yeah I noticed the temperatures went down a lot as well, I opened the tower and the HDDs weren't very hot to the touch like they were before, now they are just warm. Since I bought the Fans and 1GB RAM today, I am hoping the freezing problem is fixed. It probably was the temperature of the CPU, I will know within a week or 2, if it does not freeze up any more. Also it froze at random. I know I will get used to the noise, I had to get used to the noise been lower after I upgraded the CPU+FAN. lol

Dark One 123

Dark One 123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
It frozen but this time I noticed "Application popup: : Machine Check: Regs" in the Event Logs, I am going to search on what it is.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Do you know how to enter your System's BIOS/SETUP utility? If you do what I want you to do is enter it and LOAD DEFAULT SETTINGS. Then SAVE SETTINGS and exit the BIOS/SETUP utility. Let the computer boot up and post back if the computer still freezes. If it does, do you still get the same error in the Event Viewer or do you get a different ones? Basically anything with a Red X next to them at the time of the freeze I'm interested in.

Fenor

Dark One 123

Dark One 123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
It should be the Default Setup for the BIOS, but I will do it.

EDIT: Done, I loaded the default settings, also I want to add I disabled the OnBoard Audio and The Full Screen ASUS Logo in POST. (The ASUS thing is the ASUS Logo when you boot the PC, I do not like it I want to see what is booted.) Now just to wait and see if the PC freezes.
For some reason the PCs temp is around 50C goes up and down.

EDIT: I found this http://www.ntcompati...ead22875-2.html RBogan seems to think he has found the fix, I am going to try it myself and keep searching to see any other fixes.

EDIT: I opened the case I think 1 of the HDD IDE Cable might of come loose since pressed down on all of them.

Edited by Dark One 123, 02 January 2007 - 10:36 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Nice catch on checking the IDE cables. That definitely could of caused your problem. Keep us informed about how things are going!

Fenor

Dark One 123

Dark One 123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I am hoping it was either IDE Cable or that Registry edit fixed it. If not I will know this is a Windows XP Problem, I might either reinstall it or upgrade to Vista (I got the Beta DVD) not a illegal copy so it's alright.

EDIT: It has been on for just over a day :whistling: if it makes around few days then I guess the problem is solved.
EDIT: It froze, I have no idea what is causing this, I am either going to repair XP or install Vista Beta 2 and see if it stops freezing.

EDIT: I think the problem is fixed, might of been a driver (I reinstalled them all)

Edited by Dark One 123, 10 January 2007 - 04:15 PM.

Dark One 123

Dark One 123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
After I reinstalled the sound and LogMeIn Drivers, my PC has been on for weeks and for freezing, and I even overclocked it as well and it is working fine. The problem has been fixed.

I figured out the problem was due to driver, when I noticed "Application Popup" in the Event Viewer, in the Description there was nothing, but Machine Reg something, which meant nothing to me except for the link to Windows Help which I never click and I clicked it and it opened it up some info, "DEVICE_DRIVER_LOAD" error which is how I knew it was a driver error. I would like to add that it would of been a lot more of a help if Windows had at least given a .DLL or which driver it was.