Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dial Up, DSL, Broadband and computer

• Please log in to reply

bevbruce

bevbruce

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all. As a newbie, I need some help concerning internet connections. I've been using a very slow dial-up connection to the internet now for years. My neighborhood doesn't have access to high-speed internet and it looks like it won't be arriving to my neighborhood for at least another year or more. Besides being incredibly slow to work with, it also ties up my telephone line whenever I'm online websurfing. Since I'm probably one of the few people left on this planet without a cell phone, this can be a problem when online for hours at a time.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can use to connect to high speed internet access? I was wondering if the Sprint Broadband card I'm seeing advertised would provide me with high speed internet access that would be dramatically faster than what I'm now using. In addition, wouldn't it free up my phone line? When I looked on their website, it looked like they sell various types of cards as well as various programs. Any suggestions as to which card to use, etc.?

I have a Dell XPS 400 desktop PC. If the card system has coverage in my neighborhood, I'd like to use it for unlimited minutes online for internet surfing, email send and receive capability, and space online for my own webpages.

If this Sprint card is the solution, besides buying the card Sprint sells and the monthly fee, what other equipment would I need to buy?

Does anyone out there have this card? If so, I'd appreciate hearing your experiences concerning connectivity, dropouts and frequency, poor connections, any problems encountered, service problems, if you'd recommend it, etc.

Any other suggestions you all might have to resolve my problem and get connected faster would be appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I have a braodband access card for my laptop through Verizon. I've been very pleased with the service, especially when travelling "home" to Pittsburgh, where I thought the hills and mountains would be obstacles to reception (they aren't!) One of the things you need to watch is the agreement Sprint (or whatever ISP you decide to use). I'm not crazy about paying two dollars a day even when I'm NOT using my laptop, and being forced to sign for a two-year obligation. However, the service has been consistently good, and the wireless connection is as good as my cable Internet at home.
Johanna