Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

hardware power issue

• Please log in to reply

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
:help: never mind i'll blow it up with out help :) :whistling: on start-up before booting into windows i get a hardware power monitor alert. looking at the v-core voltage readings all except 1 are correct. could it be an incorrect dip switch setting?, or power pack going bad? im not sure if you need the board mfg.'s name. i guess i'll just fiddle around with the switchs an stuff an see what happens. :blink: the computer im using now isnt the one with this issue its xp2 but im not sure if that matters

Edited by krmooo, 01 January 2007 - 04:17 PM.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
More info would help but if you have a voltage that is out of normal range then most likely the power supply needs to be replaced.

krmooo

krmooo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
:whistling: thanks shard.. added a little thermo grease an that seem'd to do the trick but the voltage drop although its a .5 drop does concern me... we'll see,,, appreciate the response.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
If it is .5V below it should b ok but not safe. the computer should work but if it dropes more or u suck the juce out of the psu then u might incouter a blue screen or the computer will reset itself automaticly.

Look at the thread "restarts for every one or two hours." it describes what migt happen.
(It is at least what I think)

krmooo

krmooo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
im keeping an eye on that. the paste has done the trick as far as overheating cpu shutdown beeps.. im sure i'll replace the powepack soon thanks for the response.... :whistling:

PS1002

PS1002

• Pip
  • 5 posts
moved to new topic http://www.geekstogo...howtopic=154236

wasnt working for me when i tried posting a new topic when i first signed..

Edited by PS1002, 04 April 2007 - 09:56 PM.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well first off you should have started your own topic and put a link to this one if you wanted to reference it. I've heard anywhere from 5 to 10 % as the tolerance on the voltages is what would be normal. With that in mind the 12v would be in tolerance but the 5 volt would not be. In the case of switching the psu to a different machine with different results it may just be a case of the psu not supplying enough power for the newer board.... I would replace the psu on the 830f and either consider that supply no good or at most use it on the sis board.... I've heard sis boards run cooler so it's quite likely that they also draw less power...

PS1002

PS1002

• Pip
  • 5 posts
the problem with me starting a new topic is, everytime i goto add one it says im not allowed to, and when i click subscribe to actually post a new topic, i still get the im not allowed to, sorry for the inconvenience.

Edited by PS1002, 04 April 2007 - 09:56 PM.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

the problem with me starting a new topic is, everytime i goto add one it says im not allowed to, and when i click subscribe to actually post a new topic, i still get the im not allowed to, sorry for the inconvenience.

that's odd. You may want to try and contact a moderator or an Admin.