Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"550 Your message does not conform to RFC2822 standard"

• Please log in to reply

rgarr

rgarr

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
In email lingo does anybody out there know what this message means and how to FIX it? I haven't found a FIX yet and I'm beginning to wonder. I use Incredimail as my email client and my ISP is Earthlink. Neither one knows how to help me with this error message.

I have used Google with no luck on a FIX. Apparently there are plenty of others who have had this problem but no FIX has been posted. Whenever I put one or more names in the BCC: field...as a test I usually just use my email address...the message goes immediately into the OUTBOX but isn't sent. It then gives me the popup message "550 Your message does not conform to RFC2822 standard".

I didn't used to get this message...I could forward a joke or message to several people via BCC: and they would go through without a hitch. My settings are correct and I've tried system restore to no avail. I'm using Windows XP SP2.

Thanks in advance for any and all help on this my friends.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
From the search's I did, It seems to be a way for the ISP's to cut down on spam.
It looks like the home user is limited to the number of recipients in the "to", "cc", and "bcc" fields.

Maybe try creating a "group" to send to.

Here is some info I found.
Forums at Cnet.
Knowledge Base

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The second result on Googling "RFC2822 standard" brings back a page which reads:

The RFC2822 standard specifies that only one email address can be in the 'to:' email field. However it has become standard practice to allow more than one email address in this field. If your ISP adheres strictly to the RFC2822 standard you may receive this error from several programs

Therefore, from another result using the same search criteria:

The user "fixed" the problem by putting his name in the "to:" field. Then it went out to all the recipients in the "BCC:" field. He said he never had to put someone in the "to:" field before.

rgarr

rgarr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

From the search's I did, It seems to be a way for the ISP's to cut down on spam.
It looks like the home user is limited to the number of recipients in the "to", "cc", and "bcc" fields.

Maybe try creating a "group" to send to.

Here is some info I found.
Forums at Cnet.
Knowledge Base

Hi '123Runner'

Thanks for the good links my friend...and your time!

Believe it or not there was a time when I didn't have to put " anything in the To: field...only in the BCc: field and the message would go out. And as far as only being able to put 5 names or less in the To: field...that is nonsense...I've put as many names in the To: field as I've wanted...10 as an example...and the message has gone out.

My 16 year old nephew has Incredimail with a different ISP provider and he is able to put just 1 name or 10 in the BCc: field only and the message goes out. I've also tried this with Outlook Express as the email client and it won't work either using that. It used to work for me so we're missing something here. Thanks again though for your help my friend! I'll keep working on it!

rgarr

rgarr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

The second result on Googling "RFC2822 standard" brings back a page which reads:

The RFC2822 standard specifies that only one email address can be in the 'to:' email field. However it has become standard practice to allow more than one email address in this field. If your ISP adheres strictly to the RFC2822 standard you may receive this error from several programs

Therefore, from another result using the same search criteria:

The user "fixed" the problem by putting his name in the "to:" field. Then it went out to all the recipients in the "BCC:" field. He said he never had to put someone in the "to:" field before.

Hi Neil Jones,

This second quote is correct about never having to put someone in the To: field before. Thanks for your help! I'll keep working on it because I'm missing something here!