Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want to reformat but cannot access the recovery console

• Please log in to reply

DeadEye

DeadEye

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
First thing, Computer specs:
AMD Athlon 1.01
768 MB of RAM
ATI Raedon ?? 128 MB
Some type of integrated sound card

Whats the problem?
I cant access the recovery console, and I need to know how to reformat without being able to do that.

My Windows XP Pro disc wont allow me to delete the partition, because it has temporary files in there. I also cant get it to put the temporary files onto a flash drive and then delete the partition and install back ontop the harddrive.

Any other info just ask :whistling: .

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Boot off your XP CD and press R on the first screen for Recovery Console.

DeadEye

DeadEye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

First thing, Computer specs:
AMD Athlon 1.01
768 MB of RAM
ATI Raedon ?? 128 MB
Some type of integrated sound card

Whats the problem?
I cant access the recovery console, and I need to know how to reformat without being able to do that.

My Windows XP Pro disc wont allow me to delete the partition, because it has temporary files in there. I also cant get it to put the temporary files onto a flash drive and then delete the partition and install back ontop the harddrive.

Any other info just ask :whistling: .

:blink:

DeadEye

DeadEye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I want to add, since im here, that I am having another problem the past couple of weeks with my gaming computer (specs are in my profile).

My computer continually reboots itself, eMachines and Gateway both told me to either get a program to fix the registry or reformat. I reformatted, and yesterday and today ive had my computer restart about 3 times. Im more than positive this isnt a overheating issue, as my gauges never go above 52 degrees celcius.

Just thought id throw that in there sense no one else can figure out whats wrong, lol.

ps: This usually happens when im playing World of Warcraft, though it has happened when playing America's Army, and once when playing BattleField 2. And it also happened when I was downloading the latest patch for World of Warcraft, about ever 30-50MB of download (about 20 minutes).

Oddysee

Oddysee

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Your not booting from the disk. You need to go into your BIOS settings (f8 on my computer) and make sure your computer is booting from the disk. I guess you figured that out anyway.

My computer continually reboots itself, eMachines and Gateway both told me to either get a program to fix the registry or reformat. I reformatted, and yesterday and today ive had my computer restart about 3 times. Im more than positive this isnt a overheating issue, as my gauges never go above 52 degrees celcius

It can't be your registry because you've formatted, and it wont be a sofeware problem either because you've got a clean install because of the format. I'm no expert but it sounds like you have a hardware problem. Look inside your computer and see if there is any signs of damage on anyparts of your hardware.

DeadEye

DeadEye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Your not booting from the disk. You need to go into your BIOS settings (f8 on my computer) and make sure your computer is booting from the disk. I guess you figured that out anyway.

My computer continually reboots itself, eMachines and Gateway both told me to either get a program to fix the registry or reformat. I reformatted, and yesterday and today ive had my computer restart about 3 times. Im more than positive this isnt a overheating issue, as my gauges never go above 52 degrees celcius

It can't be your registry because you've formatted, and it wont be a sofeware problem either because you've got a clean install because of the format. I'm no expert but it sounds like you have a hardware problem. Look inside your computer and see if there is any signs of damage on anyparts of your hardware.

Oddysee:

I finally figurewd out how to put the temp files on my flashdrive and still install on the harddrive, seems to be working fine now. Dont ask how I did it, but it works lol.

As for the hardware damage: Ill check.

DeadEye

DeadEye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Checked the hardware, looks ok. I was searching through older posts and I turned the automatic restart off, so this might help determine what the problem is..or maybe fix it. Ill find out! If I still have problems ill just make a new topic.

Edited by DeadEye, 31 December 2006 - 06:04 PM.