Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop prob: changing network domain

• Please log in to reply

angel_gurl

angel_gurl

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi all I'm new here. This is my first question (it probably won't be the last :whistling: )

I've bought a laptop (Dell) from my school. This school uses its own network domain.
My cousin changed that domain so that I was connected to his.
He restarted the laptop. Windows starts and it asks my username and pass as usual. I enter my passw but it doesn't recognize it anymore. Which means I can't enter my own laptop Unless I know the passw of the school admin.
We've already restarted the laptop in safe modus, but it has no use.
Someone else told us we could do a systemrestore but it requires a floppy and I only have a cd rom station.

If I go the laptopservice in school. They'll erase my drive and reinstall everything (according to the laptopservice guideline). :blink:

Is there a way to restore this? ;

Advertisements

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
changing the domain wouldnt change your password, unless you boot off the network? otherwise i dont see how it would change the username and password. if it was new and you bought it more than likely the admin password is still blank unless you added one. try logging on without a password

angel_gurl

angel_gurl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I already tried to log in without password or username. I left the field blank. But it didn't work. :blink:
All I know is the computer has a domaincontroller (or something) it searches automatically the school's domain. When the login screen appears it knows my school's username though. The installation (everything) was done before I got the laptop.
More details on what he changed:
- computername
- membership domain

I'm sorry I'm a noob at this :whistling:

Edited by angel_gurl, 31 December 2006 - 02:20 PM.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
what does the logon screen look like? 2 typable fields? or an icon with a name and password box?

angel_gurl

angel_gurl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
2 typable fields:

- Username: my schoolnumber (which it still recognizes)
- Pasword:......

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
did you try guest? and if not try rebooting and keep pressing f8 it should bring you to boot options, choose safe mode, when it comes up it might be logon witht e icons, if so click on admin and see if it has a password

angel_gurl

angel_gurl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

We've already restarted the laptop in safe modus, but it has no use.

:whistling:

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
its been a while since i read the first post. id say your best bet is to take it to your schools computer faculty

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Also try logging in as the administrator on the local machine. At the log in screen, where you see just two typeable fields, you should see an "Options" button in the lower right. This shows or hides the domain field. Hopefully this is a drop-down that shows the local machine and the domain. Try user Administrator, a blank password, and the local machine instead of the domain.

Since your username and password are not valid on the new domain, that means your username was set up for the local machine or the old domain. So try to log in to the local machine using either your username and password.

If you can get in using either of these, take the computer off the domain. It sounds like you are in that domain's active directory.

Here are the instructions:
1. Click Start, then from the Start Menu, Right-click My Computer and select Properties.
2. Select the Computer Name tab.
3. Click the Change button.
4. Under Member of select the Workgroup radio button and enter a name in the Workgroup field (it must be different from the computer's hostname).
5. Click OK.
6. The Computer Name Changes dialog box will appear asking the user to enter an account with permissions to change workgroups or domain. Enter the credentials of an account with local administrator privileges.
7. Click OK.
8. Users will receive a message, Welcome to the xxxxxx workgroup.
9. Click OK through the two remaining screens to accept the change and restart.

angel_gurl

angel_gurl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Unfortunatly there is no drop down. Before the change there was one and I had like 4 options. Very weird.
I've heard from a friend that disabling creating networks is a safety prevention. :blink:
So when the laptop gets stolen you can't place the computer under your home network.
Ofcourse I think it's very stupid to give the students no admin rights. Oh well.
I guess Anthony is right I have to return my laptop in school. :help:

But thanks very much for your help Anthony and LindaGail !! :whistling: