Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LCD 19"

• Please log in to reply

Oddysee

Oddysee

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
I've just reformatted my drive and when I turn it on. I get "no signal in range". With a normal monitor it works fine. I tried changing the rate, it was set on 85hz I tried 60hz, 70hz, 75hz and all the other frequencies you can get. The LCD monitor works fine in safe mode. I'm on windows xp home.

Anyone else know what I can do?

Any help is appreciated thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Safe Mode is basically XP running in 800x600 at 60Hz.

Go into Display Properties, you should be able to alter the resolution up to 1024x768, then back down to 800x600 and click OK. Windows should then ask you along the lines of if you want to apply this resolution on the next boot.

If this fails, then restart the computer, keep pressing F8 as if you were going into Safe Mode. Select the "Enable VGA Mode" option and press Enter. This will load Windows in normal mode with 640x480 resolution. Pretty much all monitors made in the last 10yrs support 640x480. From here you can change the resolution upwards.

Oddysee

Oddysee

Spammer

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
I've tried the first part of your advice and that didn't help. I'll give the second option and tell you if it works or not.

Anyone got any other advice? The computer isn't mine it's at a friend’s house and it's a 20-minute drive so I’m pretty much going to try everything anyone has posted thank.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
just bring it back to your house if it doesnt work. not much good its doing them without display

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Just remember (when following the 2nd part of that advice) when you change the resolution up from 640 x 480, it will change the resolution and put up a message asking if you wish to keep it at that setting. If you do not answer yes in 30 seconds it will switch back to your old resolution.

So if you change to a resolution and your monitor goes blank, just sit tight for 30 seconds, it will return, and you can try a different setting.