Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows can't boot

• Please log in to reply

RexumBellae

RexumBellae

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
If anybody can help me, i would greatly appreciate it!! I am on another computer, but the one I have won't even start up windows. I get the screen where it talks about primary drive 0 failure and primary diskette 0 failure. It asks me to press f1 to continue or to press f2 to run setup utility. If i press f1, i get a message that says press f1 to retry boot or press f2 to run setup utility. I run the setup uitlity, and under drive configuration my primary master drive is listed as Unknown Device. I looked at the event log and the most recent actions listed were something like CMOS battery failure, CMOS runtime error, and time and day not set. Do I really need to get another CMOS battery or can it be a software problem that wont allow my master drive to not be detected?

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hello there.

From what your telling me, it seems that your CMOS battery is most likely dead or dying. Try going to your local computer store and pick up a new one. They are very inexpensive.

Have a good new years.