Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer Sharing

• Please log in to reply

Ray J

Ray J

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I am running Windows XP and I am the administrater of my computer. I share this computer with 2 other people each one having there own user account. I would like to know if there is a way block the other users from using the printer. Any input is appreciated Thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
One way

To set or remove permissions for a printer
To change the permission settings for a printer, you must have the Manage Printers permission, which is one of several printer permissions.

Set up new permissions for a printer

Open Printers and Faxes.

Right-click the printer for which you want to set permissions, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.

Click Add.

Click Look For, select the types of users you want to add, and then clicking OK.

Click Look In, browse for the location you want to search, and then click OK.

In the Name box, type the name of the user or group you want to set permissions for, separating each name with a semicolon ( ; ).

To ensure the names are recognized by the directory, click Check Names.

Recognized names will appear underlined. If some names don't appear underlined, click Check Names again. If you need assistance in locating a name, click Advanced, type the beginning of the name in the Name box, and then click Find Now. From the list that appears, click the name you want to add, and then click OK. You can select many individual names by holding down CTRL as you click each name, or you can select a block of names by clicking the first name, holding down SHIFT, and then clicking the last name.

Once all the names you want are listed in the Name box, click OK.

In Permissions, click the Allow or Deny check box for each permission you want to allow or deny.

To view or change the underlying printer permissions that make up Print, Manage Printers, and Manage
Documents, click Advanced.

Change or remove permissions for a printer

Open Printers and Faxes.

Right-click the printer for which you want to change or remove permissions, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.

Click the name of the user or group whose permissions you want to change or remove.

In Permissions, click the Allow or Deny check box for each permission you want to allow or deny, if necessary. Or, to remove the user or group from the permissions list, click Remove.

To view or change the underlying permissions that make up Print, Manage Printers, and Manage Documents, click Advanced.

Ray J

Ray J

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I do not have a security tab when I click on properties of my printer

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
You need to disable Simple File Sharing to enable the Security tab.

If you have Windows XP Pro, see Microsoft Article 307874. Open My Computer, Tools Folder Options, View tab, scroll to the bottom and uncheck "Use Simple File Sharing".

If you have Windows XP Home, see this link for a way to manually disable Simple File Sharing.