Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Micosoft Related Update Never Gets Updated

• Please log in to reply

losted

losted

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi,

First of all, I'm not sure this is suppose to be in this section, might have to repost this in the network or internet section or something, but here goes:

For any microsoft related updates, it never gets connected (seems to be). Like when I try to do windows update, it stays at the searching for components needed to be updated stage and never gets the search done if it ever started. I also tried windows defender update, it never gets updated. The same thing with when I try to update IE with a manual download, it gets stuck at the stage where u connect to microsoft to get the stuff downloaded during installation (so not the downloading installation file part). I'm not sure if this is caused by their server maintenance or not, if so, just consider this as another dumb question lol. Thanks for all the help.

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
See if this might help:

http://www3.telus.ne...emar/updtcl.htm

losted

losted

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

See if this might help:

http://www3.telus.ne...emar/updtcl.htm

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately, this doesn't solve my problem. THe windows update log doesn't show any error at all. What I just noticed is that the svchost.exe process is taking 50% of the CPU usage when I try to update anything from microsoft.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you install these?

http://www.softwarep...6-security.html

losted

losted

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Can you install these?

http://www.softwarep...6-security.html

Nop, I can't. Below is the log:

[KB926247.log]
4.406: ================================================================================
4.406: 2007/01/01 14:39:14.377 (local)
4.406: c:\b1a54cb0739749a945fe\update\update.exe (version 6.2.29.0)
4.406: Hotfix started with following command line:
4.515: C:\WINDOWS\system32\snmp.exe is Not Present
4.515: Condition Check for Line 1 of PreRequisite returned FALSE
4.531: ReadStringFromInf: UpdSpGetLineText failed: 0xe0000102
4.531: KB926247 Setup encountered an error: Setup cannot continue because one or more prerequisites required to install KB926247 failed. For More details check the Log File c:\windows\KB926247.log
4.531: ReadStringFromInf: UpdSpGetLineText failed: 0xe0000102
4.531: Setup cannot continue because one or more prerequisites required to install KB926247 failed. For More details check the Log File c:\windows\KB926247.log

losted

losted

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I guess the problem is snmp.exe is missing? Where would I get this file? Should I just google it?

losted

losted

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

I guess the problem is snmp.exe is missing? Where would I get this file? Should I just google it?

Nvm this, from what I read, the SNMP service isn't installed with any default windows installations. So, how was I able to update fine before?

losted

losted

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
So? Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar which will simply disappear when the scan is complete, reboot when it does

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

snmp.exe is a network process which comes bundled with Microsoft Windows Operating System. This process is related with LAN (local area networking) and allows for the configuration of LAN infrastructure components. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
snmp is the "secure network mail protocol" FYI.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
you should be able to get error from windows update in notepad >>go to my computer >>>c:drive>>then open windows folder>>look for windows update in notepad and >>open it
and post the error here

you can empty your windows update notepad or folder

go to my computer >>>c:drive>>then open windows folder>>look for windows update in notepad and >>open it >>go to edit and select all and on any blue file click delete click yes for changes sometimes you cant load updates if notepad has too many errors >>>worth a shot