Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sony lap won't display SS/shut off screen

• Please log in to reply

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
tried safe mode..the screen saver did indeed work (didn't try turn screen off feature) although i'm sure if SS worked turn screen off would also..and yes have external wireless mouse and it worked both w/ & w/out it plugged in (USB)..would AIM disable a screen saver? as my bro. always leaves his screen name on "away" but i've seen plenty of my friends leave there screen names on away and have their screen savers work..how should we go about fixing this for normal mode?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try unplugging the wireless mouse from the laptop and then wait the time until the screensaver should of kicked in and see if it does turn on or not.

Fenor

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
that worked!..plugged back in and it didnt work..so how can this be fixed? i mean theres got to be a way for mouse to be plugged in but SS also be able work

Edited by jmoney3457, 05 January 2007 - 09:06 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Now we pinpointed the problem. What is the make and model of the wireless mouse. We are getting closer... :whistling:

Fenor

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
its MS optical 3000...thanks again fenor :whistling:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go to ADD & REMOVE PROGRAMS in the Control Panel and let me know if IntelliPoint is listed (it might start with MS or Microsoft so don't just scroll down to the items starting with 'I').

Fenor

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
houston that's gonne be a negative lol sorry for the humor :whistling:

Edited by jmoney3457, 06 January 2007 - 09:15 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Think I found the solution to your problem. :whistling:

Go back into MSConfig (START-->RUN and type msconfig) and uncheck the box corresponding to ehtray.exe. Click APPLY and OK and reboot your computer when prompted. Once it's rebooted you will see a window pop up stating that you are running in selective startup mode. Check the box next to don't show this again and click OK to close the window.

Check and see if the screensaver will now turn on.

Fenor

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
thank you so much fenor! I can't thank you enough man! your a life (computer) saver :blink: :help: just curious how'd you figure out it was the ehtray doing it? again THANKS man I owe you big time :whistling:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad everything is working as it should now. :whistling:

just curious how'd you figure out it was the ehtray doing it?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911895

Google is your best friend like my signature says. :blink:

Fenor

Advertisements

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
LOL it was right under my nose the whole time, sometimes you think a huge big problem is just a small simple 1 w/ the solution right infront of you (google) hehe :blink: :help: :whistling:

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
oh ya just 1 thing fenor, when the ehtray is disabled (as I did) would that also disable on screen volume..as in you know how on some comps when you press the vol. button it'll bring up on screen big green text showing the volume level..i noticed that doesn't work anymore on this laptop..is that only 'coz of ehtray being disabled?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
That I couldn't tell ya. Best thing I can have you do is recheck the box in the Startup tab and reboot your computer and see if the onscreen volume displays again or not.

Fenor