Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Seagate external hard drive

• Please log in to reply

tddavis65

tddavis65

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, all new to the site have a question concerning my seagate external hard drive. i am running 98se but it does not reconize my hard drive. went to seagate site downloaded the divers there still want work. i looked in Device manager it shows up there and says it is working propely. can some one help me out. i have used it before on 98 but can't seem to get it to work now.THANKS TOMMY

Hi Thanks for your reply. the External drive did not come with software. it was plug and play and the size is 120 gig. thanks Tommy

Edited by tddavis65, 01 January 2007 - 01:30 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go, tddavis65

I wonder if your external drive is so large that they had to format the drive as ntfs. If they did then your win 98SE computer cannot see the drive as it does not recoginize the ntfs file system.

A easy way to find out is to download Sysinternals 98NTFS program and run it.

http://www.sysintern...sWindows98.html

Please read the website carefuly because if you do something wrong you can cause your Win 98 system to fail to start. Its not hard, just read the cautions on the webpage.

Now if the hard drive is not partitioned as NTFS it is probably not partitioned at all. Did you get a drive utility CD with the external drive? It should have a partition program to format the drive.

If you did not get a CD with utilities make a boot disk for win 98SE and use it to partition the drive. For 80 and 120 Gig HD's Use the Windows 98 FORMAT.COM utility program. For 160 Gig or larger drives keep your partiton size to 127GB or less. The reason for this is that Win 98SE cannot see partitions larger than 127 Gig's.

Note that while the program is running it will display an incorrect size for your partition. After it has finished, the summary screen will show the correct size that was formatted.

Tip: Formatting large hard drives is extremely slow. If you have a disk setup utility that came with your new hard drive, use it instead of FORMAT.COM. This can save you HOURS of waiting.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 01 January 2007 - 11:47 AM.

tddavis65

tddavis65

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
:whistling:
Thanks so much it worked out well thanks again for your help. Tommy