Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

AVG replacement?

• Please log in to reply

tolwyn

tolwyn

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello all,

I am not sure if I am posting this question in the correct forums, but, ....here goes.

Does anyone know of a decent program that is free, that can give some 'form' of antivirus Protection and Scanning capability? I have a bunch of kids and in turn they ALWAYS have ALOT of friends over, their surfing on the internet has proven a challenge and many large headaches ensue when I have to remove loads of junk that they have 'aquired' via surfing.(mainly trend,winspy,SaD-spybot and Ad-Aware - is what I have on all comps)

Having AVG running in the background has helped ALOT! and this service was great...best of all, it 'was' free. As this new year starts, AVG is halting their FREE version, and on Jan15th a fee will accompany the programs usage.

My Question is:

...."Is there another FREE antivirus/scanning program that would be recommended to use for me and my purposes?(comparable to AVG Free?)..."

I would probably opt to pay for one , but with soooo many comps in the house, it would more than likely cost an arm and a leg.

Any recommendations?

Thank You.

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi tolwyn, avast 4.7 home it free and works fine.

http://avast.com/ :whistling:

shazmar

shazmar

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi, as far as i am aware AVG anti virus will still be free but to have the full program of anti virus and anti spyware etc you would have to pay for it. I personally use Avast antivirus which is free and very good.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I think you have miss read the message. They are stopping updates to AVG 7.0, but you can get AVG 7.5 for free. So really all it wants you to do it upgrade.

You can get if from http://free.grisoft....0/lng/us/tpl/v5

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Two posts, my mistake

Edited by Michael, 01 January 2007 - 09:39 PM.