Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Defender problem

• Please log in to reply

redbilly

redbilly

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
When I start my computer I get a warning box stating

Windows Defender
Application failed to initialize:0x800106ba. A problem caused windows defender service to stop. To start the service, restart your comupter or search help and support on how to start a service manually.

I have restarted my computer several times and it reappears, I have also searched help and support and can find nothing about windows defender. It does not stop me gaining access to the internet or any other program. But I would like to know how I remove this warning and what is Windows Defender?

Many Thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try unistalling it then re-installing

http://www.microsoft...re/default.mspx

kmikkila

kmikkila

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You probably can't reinstall windows defender because you will get a message it is included and go to your security center.

Go to task manager (right click at bottom of screen where things are minimized), go to services and right click windows defender and start process. Something or other stopped it.

Hope this helps.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

You probably can't reinstall windows defender

You sure can: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555957