Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Admin has extreame controll issues,

• Please log in to reply

Canus

Canus

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
ok I just had a wipe of my comp to get rid of a few virus'. and after creating a file for myself and restarting the computer always logs back into the admin file and not the one i created although when i logg out my file is there and accessable to logg in. can anyone tell me what this could be?

i have window media which has just been formatted

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
So you did format the drive and install a fresh copy?

Try this:
Click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type control userpasswords2, and then click OK. In the dialog box that appears, enable Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer check box, and then click OK.

If this doesn't help, post back.

Canus

Canus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
hey thank you very much,my problem has been solved. But just out of curiosity is there a way i can automatically log into my file without worrying about it going to admin insted

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Yes, look at this link called Auto logon for Windows XP. This should do the trick.

Canus

Canus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
hmm i thought i posted again but apperently i didnt lol. I tried to do that but when i click the Clear the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer check box, i cant seem to access the users anymore to change anything let alone access the auto logon

Edited by Canus, 03 January 2007 - 09:55 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
So you were following the directions in the link to set up auto logon with your user account, and it went wrong?

Are you saying that you unchecked "Users must enter a user name and password", the user name box popped up (step 4 from the link), and you entered your user name and password?

... i cant seem to access the users anymore to change anything let alone access the auto logon

I don't know what you mean by this. Please clarify.

Can you get back to that screen (Start, Run, control userpasswords2) to check the box for "Users must enter a user name and password"? This should put you back where you were in post #3.

Canus

Canus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
im saying that when i unchecked it, no user name popped up.

what i ment when i said i cant seem to access the users anymore to change anything let alone access the auto logon is that when i uncheck it, all the user accounts that are there, sort of grey out and fade and i can no longer click on them

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Alright. So you can't get to the box to put in your username for auto logon (control userpasswords2), but you are able to log in? It's just that when you do log in and go to the Users screen, you can do anything?

Please confirm whether you use the Welcome Screen. If so, how many user names show up there? How many are valid?

Please confirm Windows XP Home or Pro?

Are you sure your user account is in the Administrator group?

Canus

Canus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
i come to the windows screen and there is only 1, but then when i use that control userpasswords2 thing i see 3. admin, aspnet , and then mine. i can log into my file fine now but i wanted to know if it will automatically load because my user name doesnt even have a password and yes it is in the admin group.

i have windows media center

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Look at this link: http://sa-mce.com/bl...n-mce-2005.aspx

Does that sound familar?

I also found this at http://www.microsoft...519_ez_mce.mspx

Barb_MVP (Expert):
Q: after adding xbox extender the MCE system requires logon. how can i disable logon for MCE?
A: I'd advice getting TewakUI and setting it up for autologon. You can find it at http://www.microsoft...ppowertoys.mspx

Canus

Canus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
well i tried the media center thing and that came out a bust, but i did put on a password and then when i did the controll userpasswords it did pop up but when i restarted, it still brought me to the log in screen