Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multi-Boot Confusion

• Please log in to reply

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hi all.

I wanna multiboot 2Linux OS'es.

They are Ubuntu and PCLinux.

I have trouble trying to install them. Any guides or anything I can follow?

Thanks!

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Just create your partitions, install PC linux then install Ubuntu and the ubuntu installer should configure GRUB for you automatically.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Should I create the partitions while installing PCLinux (80gb) making it 40 per partition?

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
partitioning for Linux is a little different then Partitioning for Windows. I usually set up a linux swap partition at the beginning of the drive. Depending on the amount of RAM you have as to the size of this partition. I use the "equal to twice the RAM" rule. If you have 256MB to512MB double it in swap. A gig of RAM I use a gig of swap.

Next you need a root partition. most distros fit nicely on 5 to 10gig partitions. I would recommend a root partition for each distro.

Then you need a home partition. I know PCLinuxOS lets you set on up in their installer (if your installing to a raw drive) but I don't think Ubuntu does so you may have to assign one during th install. You could use the same home partition for the installs but be careful to use different user accounts in different OSs because PCLinuxOS and Ubuntu may not play well together. Their .conf files may differ for the same applications. PClinuxOS uses KDE and is Mandriva based and Ubuntu use Gnome and is Debian based.

Edited by silverbeard, 02 January 2007 - 01:38 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You need a seperate home partition for each i wouldnt reccomend tryig it any other way, you should start off by creating one FAT32 partition for data storage independant of the OS(good practice on any OS) then you'll need a home for each anything over 10Gb will do, and swap twice the size of memory i think you should be able to use the swap for both OSs however i would be tempted to just make a seperate one for each it should be put to the fastest area of the disk by default.

so you're going to be looking at 5 partitions 2 for each instance of a linux OS and one for data, you could maybe get away with 4 but i would play it safe with 5. PClinux then ubuntu, you can also make a seperate partition for the boot files up to you depend on you if you are going to change OS often might be worth doing.

Experiment read the docs and guides see what setup suits you there is a couple ways to do it but to me its worth experimenting and learning on your own.

PS your signature is too big we have a 16Kb limit.

Edited by warriorscot, 03 January 2007 - 03:30 PM.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Sorry about that.. ill get rid of some of them