Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Search for a laptop

• Please log in to reply

suey3b

suey3b

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
My daughter has been saving her newspaper delivery money to buy a laptop. Her primary wants/needs are:

* 800 MHz processor or better
* 256 MB RAM if Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows 98 or Windows 2000
* At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space (preferably more)

She mostly just wants to run the SIMS games on her laptop and use it for AOL IM.

I'm looking for your expert advice on what kind of laptop to get for her (IBM; ACER; HP). Right now she has about $500 saved up. We've been searching on Ebay, but are overwhelmed a little bit.

Please help!

Advertisements

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
500? go to walmart and buy a toshiba. i think they're 495, they might be 595. it has over a 1.5ghz cpu with 512mb ram, and i think it has a 40-60gig harddrive

suey3b

suey3b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
The cheapest toshiba I could find at Walmart.com was $658 and it had a Celeron processor, which I was told to stay away from???

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
did you go online? or at the store, and yes try to stay away from celerons

onlines cheapest is 698 but at the store there is one for 495 or 595

Edited by AnthonyJ, 01 January 2007 - 06:15 PM.

suey3b

suey3b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I checked at WalMart and the cheapest they have are ACER and EVEREX (?) for $495-$595, but they're currently out of stock. Know anything about them?

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
well i have a relative with an acer and its slow. but never used or heard of everex. i try to stay around name brands like toshiba, compaq, sony, apple, etc

suey3b

suey3b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok, I'll keep looking. Is it safe to but a laptop on an online auction site?? Should I be wary of that?

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
i would stay away, unless its very cheap. more than likely their no good. like ebay, there are alot of them on there, if you do buy one on an auction, carefully rear and reread the description

and check their feedbacks

Edited by AnthonyJ, 03 January 2007 - 05:03 PM.