Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows extremely slow ...

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi all. First of all I'm sure the slow speed is not caused by any malware.

I'm just curious to know why the computer would slow down so much that I have to log off then log back on again after my Photoshop CS3 crashes. I've checked out the process manager and optimize the memory but that didn't help a bit.

Something's going off in the background and the process red light is flickering on and off. Meanwhile the speed is pathetic.

Could anyone tell me why and how I could get the speed back to normal without having to log off then log back on again?

Regards and Happy New Year :whistling:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
More than likely when photoshop crashes it is not relesing the memory it is using . Windows thinks the memory is busy so it does not use it leaving you will less to work with. Of course , i wondoe why a expensive program is crashing in the first place . I would be talking to the Adobe people it this was happening to me. When you say your optimizing the memory just exactly what are you doing? Obviously, it is not picking up the memory photoshop was using. How much memory are we talking about here? I run 1 gig of memory in every one of my computers.

SRX660

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi SRX660,
Thanks for the fast reply.
I've got 1G memory too and its usually efficient for what I do. Photoshop CS3 is still at its beta stage and at the time of crashing I was putting together some huge panorama images (often succeed without crashing).
What you said make sense - "when photoshop crashes it is not relesing the memory it is using", but then again even when I do use Photoshop the system runs quite smoothly, it is AFTER Photoshop crashes everything gets into a crawling speed including opening the start menu.
By "optimizing memory" I meant using the TuneUp MemOptimizer provided within the suite of TuneUp Utilities 2007 - duno if that's the right way to do it.
Thank you
Chinofeliz

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi SRX660,
Thanks for the fast reply.
I've got 1G memory too and its usually efficient for what I do. Photoshop CS3 is still at its beta stage and at the time of crashing I was putting together some huge panorama images (often succeed without crashing).
What you said make sense - "when photoshop crashes it is not relesing the memory it is using", but then again even when I do use Photoshop the system runs quite smoothly, it is AFTER Photoshop crashes everything gets into a crawling speed including opening the start menu.
By "optimizing memory" I meant using the TuneUp MemOptimizer provided within the suite of TuneUp Utilities 2007 - duno if that's the right way to do it.
Thank you
Chinofeliz