Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WVM 2004 and Win XP Licensing

• Please log in to reply

Davrobin

Davrobin

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I've been looking at microsoft virtual machine 2004 (MVM) as a means of providing me with a safe sandpit environment to mess around in without destroying my main home PC. I got all excited, installed the microsoft virtual machine software; set up the first VM, and began to install windows XP.... then started to wonder about licenses.

As far as i can see from the M$ support faq, I need to purchase a second windows XP licence to cover the virtual machine :blink: This is a bit of a pain, as all the useage is on my one PC.

Looks like the idea of using multiple VMs is out the window (unless I buy a second windows license!)... except for running an old copy of windows 98, or Linux. :whistling:

Anyone else had this discovery, & anyone else found a way around the licensing hassle? (bearing in mind that I just have 1 desktop Pc at home with 1 copy of windows xp pro)

Dave R.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Virtual Machines are classed as separate systems.

Keep in mind that while Virtual PC is a completely free program Windows is not. You will need to have a license for any Windows OS that you run in a virtual environment. This is not an issue if you are using beta versions of Windows Vista but in a production environment you need a license. If you use virtual machines a lot and you are an enterprise customer you may consider obtaining Windows Vista Enterprise, which also includes rights to run up to 4 additional copies of Windows in a virtual machine using a technology such as Virtual PC for a single license price.

This also applies to any version of Windows, not just Vista.

Davrobin

Davrobin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Yes - it's a bit of a pain though, as I was hoping to use a VM as a quarantine area for trying out new software before installing on my "live" home machine. However, beta versions of vista sound interesting..... might kill two birds with one stone... a virtual machine for trying stuff out in safely AND a way of getting to preview Vista without wrecking my PC!

In the meantime VM is proving a useful tool for getting to know Linux!