Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External DVD burner and USB 2.0 PCI CARD BUS

• Please log in to reply

kodemaan

kodemaan

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Yea so here's the situation I got an external DVD burner LG GSA-E10L and everytime I plug it into a USB 1.0 slot it comes up as a CD Drive. This is fine because with some programs it would allow me to start a DVD burning process but would die out when the actual burning process started (it would encode the video then die at the burning process). I thought this might be because I didn't have a USB 2.0 port on my laptop compaq presario r3000 so i went and bought a USB2CONNECT ADAPTEC PCI CARD with 2 usb 2.0 ports. So i go home and try to get that sucker working and it detects the card and the ports but it won't detect any devices plugged into the ports. Then i finally get it detecting ports but it won't load my flash drive (unknown device) and my dvd burner still shows up as a CD Drive. So i'm just wondering whats wrong, if anyone has any suggestions that'd be great, i'll make a quick bulleted list of the problems
  • Dvd burner shows up as cd drive
  • DVD won't burn
  • USB 2.0 pci card won't detect devices
  • Detects devices but not flash drive and dvd burner still cd drive
~~KODEMAAN

Oh yea and system stats
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Compag Presario r3000
AMD ATHLON XP Processor
2800+
1.60GHZ 512MB of RAM

Edited by kodemaan, 02 January 2007 - 12:20 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Are you running XP with SP1 (or, alternatively, SP2) installed? SP1 (and SP2) includes an update for USB 2.0

Also, check in Device Manager that it says "USB 2.0 Host Controller" or 'Enhanced USB Controller' under the Universal Serial Bus section of the hardware list. If it doesn't say one or the other then the card has not been detected properly and needs either the supplied drivers or SP1/2

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

USB2CONNECT ADAPTEC PCI CARD

It is a bit hard to connect a pci card to laptop.
A laptop has external connection ports.
Check and c if the external card is installed right or even better download an updated driver.
allso check if the external drive has a driver to enable the burning

kodemaan

kodemaan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Are you running XP with SP1 (or, alternatively, SP2) installed? SP1 (and SP2) includes an update for USB 2.0

Also, check in Device Manager that it says "USB 2.0 Host Controller" or 'Enhanced USB Controller' under the Universal Serial Bus section of the hardware list. If it doesn't say one or the other then the card has not been detected properly and needs either the supplied drivers or SP1/2

I have windows xp sp2

Yea just checked device manager and here's what came up

NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller x 2
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller x 2
Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller x 2
and then there's about 6 usb root hubs 2 of which are for the card

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I tried 2 install an external dvd burner on my computer 2 try and understand what is happenning.
At the beginning it recognized the devive but could not install.
I found out that u need to install the propper burning software to make it work. So I installed Nero that is compatable to the burner in this case it was Samsung and after that it all worked. I previously had nero but with an lg burner.
So I recomend that u install the software for you'r burner and only after that connect it. or go into the device maneger un install the device and then search again.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I just had the same problem at work.
Go into the device maneger and open the DVD/CD-ROM drivers. Next to the cd device there is the model number. Now Google the model for a driver.
I did it and it works now as a burner. :whistling:

kodemaan

kodemaan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Well about the proper burning software idea it came with a cd with proper burning software but i'll check out the googling drivers idea and see if that works

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I found the driver that I needed at DriverGuide.com there is free registration and they have allmost everything. At least what I needed.