Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuttering in some games, graphical issue?

• Please log in to reply

Thomascoote

Thomascoote

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi, for a long time now I have had this strange stuttering in some games I play (The games I have noted it in are Black and White 2, World of Warcraft, Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142, among others). Some games run fine, such as half-life 2, CSS, and Galactic Civ 2. But in affected games, I see different problems. In World of Warcraft and the BF's, I notice other players in the game world stuttering all over the place - they are in one area, then immediately appear in another, then another, and so on, with some occasionaly frames being missed. In Black and White 2, sometimes (it seems quite random) the game will slow down and begin to miss frames at even intervals.

I have an AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 7600gs PCI, 1GB Corsair value select RAM, not too sure about motherboard, but this problem was happening when I had my old MSI-K8N Neo 2 Platinum (I Think thats what its called) and 6600GT.

I first noticed this problem after an update of World of Warcraft, where immediately after the update I noticed this problem.

I have reformatted my computer, performed virus scans, defragged, scandisk, everything I can think of. Anyone have any ideas what I could do to sort this problem out?

I heard that hyperthreading can cause this, but I didnt know AMD CPUs had hyperthreading, and if they do, I can't find it in the BIOS. Thanks

Advertisements

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hey Thomascoote,

First of all please update all drivers. (Including graphics, sound everything).

After that uninstall the WoW patch see if this helps.

Do a system restore.

Post back After you have done that to see if that has helped you.

Thomascoote

Thomascoote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi, I updated my drivers today after reading another post suggesting this could be the problem, as for WoW, I've reformatted twice since I last had it installed and the problem persists.
Thanks
Oh so that means I cant system restore aswell, does this mean it must be a hardware conflict?

Edited by Thomascoote, 02 January 2007 - 08:36 AM.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

Get and make sure you got the latest version of DX9. I had problems before and this solved it, if not it probably is a hardware issue. Maybe overheating? Dust out stuff with compressed air if ya got any.

Thomascoote

Thomascoote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I downloaded latest DirectX, still nothing. I took my computer apart, cleaned the processor and fan. There was a lot of metal like dust in the fan and on the processor, which I cleaned off, but still nothing.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
How big is your case and how many fans do you have?

Also, do these problems happen even at the start of the game or when you've been playing it for 5 + minutes?

Thomascoote

Thomascoote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hey, not sure how big my case is, about medium size, it has one standard (not very good) fan covering the CPU, and one fan on the clear side of the case (looks more for show than anything else). The stuttering seems to happen randomly, for example, in Black and White 2, I can play the game with no problems for a very long time, and suddenly the stuttering starts. With BF2142, I tend to notice stuttering towards the beggining of the game, with smooths out soon after, World of Warcraft, the problem is constant.
Another thing, in Black and White 2, I noticed that the stuttering would not happen at all until a fixed point in the game. I thought this might be a coincidence, so I reinstalled the game and replayed to the same point, where the stuttering happened again. I thought I had a faulty disk at first so I got my money back, but after borrowing the game from a friend I found that the stuttering appears in the same place.
Some people have told me that buying more RAM would solve this problem, but I can't understand why it would come on so suddenly, after playing fine for so long.
Thanks

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Sounds very well to be a RAM problem to me. More RAM wouldn't help at all if its a RAM problem. How many RAM sticks you got? If you got more than one, test them one by one a lone and see if the problems cease. And once you hit the stick that has problems, wallah.

Use Memtest86 to test your RAM. If I remember using it, it takes a bit to accurately see if there is a problem, so leave it running on your computer when you're asleep.

Hopefully you know how to make a boot-able floppy or CD?

Edited by Comrade General, 03 January 2007 - 05:12 PM.

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
You might have to set the Anti-alising to Application Control. That's what I did on my GeForce 7600GS.

Thomascoote

Thomascoote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
K, I'll take a look at it, although I dont recall ever altering it, I'll take a look and see now O.k.
By the way, just been playing BF2142 all night, and the stuttering has become random throughout gameplay, still more at the beggining, but now it can come randomly.

Advertisements

Thomascoote

Thomascoote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hey, I've posted a thread on Nvidia forums, apparently some of their latest drives could screw things up for some people. Would it be worth digging out my old driver disk for my 6600GT, or would the drivers not work for the 7600GS?
Thanks

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
http://www.nvidia.co...p_2k_91.31.html

Try these, as I remember these were the most stable version. Use driver cleaner [http://www.softpedia...-Cleaner.shtml] before installing these ones.

I still think its RAM.

Edited by Comrade General, 03 January 2007 - 09:02 PM.

Thomascoote

Thomascoote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks, I'm downloading now, I've already got driver cleaner, not too sure on how to use it though, I'll take another look at it. I'm gonna buy some more RAM when money isn't so tight, probably be about another month, if this doesn't work I suppose the only thing it can be is RAM.
Thanks

Thomascoote

Thomascoote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi, only just seen your post about memtest86. I'm using 1 stick of 1GB corsair value select RAM. I'll download the program and leave it running tonight, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Oh, and I'm not too sure how to make a bootable CD, can't make a floppy because I don't have a floppy drive.

Edited by Thomascoote, 04 January 2007 - 07:47 AM.

Thomascoote

Thomascoote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hey again, since I couldn't use memtest86, I downloaded 'memtest' and ran it. It found no RAM problems, although today in BF2142 the stuttering problem has been unusually bad!