Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuttering in some games, graphical issue?

• Please log in to reply

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
I really don't know bout just "memtest" so I don't trust it.

To make a boot-able CD download MagicISO and use this tut. http://www.magiciso....bootable-cd.htm

Advertisements

Thomascoote

Thomascoote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hey again, I downloaded it and made a bootable image file (I think, this is all new to me).

BUT, I changed my RAM today (I replaced my 1GB stick with 2 x 512MB sticks) and still had the problem, I also tried to use all three sticks together but my computer wouldnt boot. I changed the power supply, which had no effect, and the hard drive (An old hard drive from my stepdads computer), installed the game on there, and still had the same problem. Does this rule out RAM being the cause of my problem? I also tried disabling page filing, but the game crashed, saying I had run out of virtual memory. I'll have to take a look at using memtest86 later, its just really confusing.

Thanks

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
If you can find out what motherboard you have right now that'd be really good.

1. Download SiSoftware's Sandra Lite and install it.
2. Open the application and Click the Hardware Tab.
3. Double click the Computer Overview Icon.
4. At the bottom of the window that appeared, Click the Copy to Clipboard Button.
5. Right click and Paste the information into your post or any text document.

Edited by Comrade General, 07 January 2007 - 03:43 PM.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

do you have the correct page filing size ?. here's some info - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308417

cheers...xxx1

Thomascoote

Thomascoote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi again, I've downloaded Sandra Lite from two different sites, but the program won't run, I'm not sure why, I'll try downloading it some more later. As for the motherboard, it's a Winfast NF4 K8AC.

I downloaded some newer drivers for my processor today, aswell as a utility called 'Coolbits'. I changed the settings on my GPU to automatic overclocking (overclocks when neededand, if this is a word, 'underclocks' when not needed) and I noticed an improvement for a while, but then it went back to stuttering, although I was getting much smoother general gameplay, and the stuttering seemed less severe.

I'm wondering if I could have a faulty CPU. But something else that seems quite strange is that the majority of problems I experience in games are games from EA (The only games I have had problems in that aren't from EA are WoW and Everquest 2). I read something about a line of code in the boot.ini file designed for optimiziing dual core processors, which some people found deleting this line got rid of stuttering. I really don't know how, or want to start messing with files like that unless I know what to look for.

Thanks for all your help so far, I really appreciate that someone is finally trying to help!

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

download everest - http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html

cheers...xxx1

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Instead of downloading multiple applications for testing things without any real goals or objectives lets take a more pragmatic approach.

The games that you stated that your having the most issue with are Battlefield 2, battlefield 2142, and World of Warcraft. Not only are these games graphically intense, but they are system challenging as well. This makes troubleshooting issues to be a little difficult.

So I'll start with the battlefield games as I have lots of experience with those. Do you know what your average ping is? When in game pull up the screen that shows all the players (tab I believe is the correct key). The last number shows your ping. This will show what kind of network connectivity you have.

Next is to make sure that you have updated your drivers for the video card as well as the chipset drivers for your system board. What system board are you running currently?

Next we need to see if your having any thermal (heat) related issues.

Download Speedfan (The download link is in the first line of the second paragraph), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

Posted Image

Thomascoote

Thomascoote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hey, downloaded Speedfan, here are the results
Posted Image
Temp 3 frequently fluctucated though, sometimes showing a flame next to it as it went higher than 50, other times as low as 13, all within a very short space of time. My average ping tends to be about 30-40, almost all of the time in most online games.

If by system board you mean what motherboard I have, its a Winfast NF4 K8AC, with an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ processor.

I don't know if I've stated this already, but the problem is different for different games. For example, in Black and White 2, which is offline only mode, the stuttering is the full screen graphics, like a missed frame or two, every few seconds, this happens randomly and can calm down or worsen. In games like WoW and BF the graphics are normally perfect, its just the other players in the game that seem very stuttery, meaning they seem to move very jerky. This is the reason I quit playing WoW, because the problem there was with many of the players I saw, whereas in the BF's I only see the problem on certain servers, especailly servers where other players have high pings.

I initially thought it was my internet connection, so I upgraded to 16mb Sky broadband, but this didn't fix anything. It was after this that I bought B&W2, only to find problems with that aswell.

Thanks

EDIT: A while ago (aswell as quite recently) I removed my CPU for some reason, can't really remember it was so long ago. I have heard that they need some thermal grease or something, which I didnt have so didnt use. Could this be a problem with overheating, and should I invest in a water cooling system, because I only have the stock cooling system at the moment.

Edited by Thomascoote, 09 January 2007 - 04:09 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
always use thermal compound. Arctic silver 5 is what is normally used. Plus a good quality heatsink with fan or heatsink that uses passive cooling is also recomended.

For case fans, how much are you move is very important. This is measured in cubic feet or cfm. The high, the better. There are a lot of case fans that move less than 30cfm. Good ones will move 50-100cfm.
this is important to know if you replace your case fan. It's not always about rmp's.