Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet keeps dropping

• Please log in to reply

Envi

Envi

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I know there must be a thousand of these laying around, but my internet isn't allowing me to time to sift through them to find what I need.

So for the last 24 hours my internet has been dropping out. And it's not like once or twice. It's about every 10 minutes for as long as it wants to stay down.

I havn't done anything differently, and I am not connected through a router. It almost seems habitual in the way that this happens every few months. I havn't even bothered to call the company because each time I do they are of no help to me. Hopefully, you guys can save me from this insanity.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Let's try to reset your modem. Please disconnect power to the modem, and leave it off for about 15-30 seconds. Next, restore power back to the modem, and wait for about 30 or so seconds, or wait until all your check lights are displayed. Try connecting to the internet. It may take a minute for you to connect at first, because it has to assign you an IP address, but you should be able to get on. This will hopefully solve the issue.

Envi

Envi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Sadly, I've already done that. When I do disconnect, and then reconnect all the lines, the lights do come back one for only mere seconds before they go out. Leaving only PC and Power lights on.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Envi you still need help with this one?

If so, what is the make and the model of of the modem? ... and is it cable or dsl?

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 07 January 2007 - 02:54 AM.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,
have you checked for any updates for your modem ?.

cheers...xxx1

Envi

Envi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
It finally righted itself, but it seems that I'm the only one that has it done in about 3 month intervals.

Thanks anyway guys.

EDIT-

NEVERMIND. -.- I jynxed myself. It's been fine for a few days now, and it's not until I actually mention that it's working agian that is starts doing it again. -.-

Edited by Envi, 08 January 2007 - 01:11 PM.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

have you tried any off the suggestions in my last post or by others just so i know where we are at.

cheers...xxx1

Envi

Envi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
If you mean updates of my cable modem. No. But my pc modem updates itself.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
yes, cable modem but they must be authorised firmware updates.

cheers...xxx1

Envi

Envi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Eh. Well, I'm screwed. Everytime I actually call to ask what is wrong with my modem it's always something with me, not them. So. Eh. If I did get an update, it's my luck that it'd mess the whole thing up and then I'd need a whole new modem.

Advertisements

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Envi you still need help with this one?

If so, what is the make and the model of of the modem? ... and is it cable or dsl?

we will stay with this envi -
do you have above info yet ?. can you post them.

cheers...xxx1

Envi

Envi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I don't know what the make is. but it's a webstar cable modem

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

1 - go to start.

2 - run type >> devmgmt.msc press the okay button.

3 - when in device manager go to >> + Network Adapters select > + expand

what does it say under that, please post it back.

cheers...xxx1

Envi

Envi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Webstar is a cable modem ... it wont show up in device manager.

i've never tried the diagnostics on a webstar so you will be my guine pig envi...

if you do not have a router attached to this network copy this into you address bar and press enter:

http://192.168.100.1/

post a screenshot of your results.

The cable company that pays my bills just started using webstar to replace the Motorola Surfboard 5120 and we now use the Sunrise telecome cm1000 for our docsis analyzer, so im not sure if it has a diagnostics or not since we dont check it anymore on intermittent no syncs.

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 10 January 2007 - 10:33 PM.