Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU and Graphic card upgrades

• Please log in to reply

kluivertfan2

kluivertfan2

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all, I'm looking to upgrade my CPU and graphics card. My current CPU is an 2.0 gHz Pentium 4. My current graphics card is a GeForce4 MX 420 64mb. So my questions are:
1. Can I upgrade to any Pentium 4? or does it have to be the same socket (PGA478)?
2. My current graphics card is PCI, but I also have an AGP slot on the board (D845EPT2), should I get a PCI graphics card or an AGP card? And which one? Im looking for something that can handle Microsoft Flight Sim X, but I'm also a college student so cost is important.
3. Since I have two slots that a graphics card could fit into, is there any benefit to running two cards? (Im pretty sure the answer here is no, but I figured I'd ask just in case)

Other info that may be important:
Its a Dell Dimension 4500
120 gigs of hard drive space (2 drives)
2.048 gigs of RAM DDR

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
1. You're limited to the same socket as your current CPU. They're hard to find and ridiculously expensive due to lack of supply.

2. AGP cards are definitely better than PCI cards. However, they are also overpriced due to PCI-e becoming the interface of choice. I don't play flight sims, but from my understanding MFS X is pretty graphic intensive, so get the best card you can afford. Probably something along the lines of a 7600GT.

3. Your mobo does not support dual graphics cards.

kluivertfan2

kluivertfan2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Considering that, would it be better to upgrade both the CPU and the Mobo?