Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network printing with HP "All-In-On" Printer

• Please log in to reply

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Hi,

I am trying to setup network printing with my desktop and my laptop. The printer is connected to the desktop. I followed the guide on this site and it didn't work. But I did also see in the guide that HP "All-In-One" printers can be a little tricky to get them to work. Mine is a HP 1310. Please someone help!

Advertisements

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
I've go an HP all-in-one printer, luv it, but not the same version...

To help ya out I would check my sig for the Windows Network setup and then after ya do that just change the properties of the printer to allow sharing. I personally didn't have any trouble setting up my all-in-one printer to my network, but maybe it just depends on the version ya have.

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
How would I check the sig?

Here's some specifications....hope they help.

Both computers are running Windows XP Professional

Desktop- Compaq Presario 5400 US, has HP 1310 attached by USB Port and has Filseclab Personnel Firewall and AVAST! Free Edition, Local Area Connection 100mbps. Also has one connection I'm not sure about..it is under Internet Gateway and it says Internet Connection-Connected. Note: The router is connected to this computer

Laptop- Dell Inspiron 1200 with D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G630. Has Comodo Firewall and AVAST! Free Edition. Wireless Network Connection at 56mbps.

Both Computers have different names, but the workgroup name is the same.(But they still both don't show up on the same network. I can get on the desktop or laptop and it says it is connected, but there is no other computer on the network besides the one I'm on) So since they both have the same name but neither can see each other on the network, what is the problem??

Edited by ddiddy40, 15 January 2007 - 06:05 PM.

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
I would run the windows network setup wizard again, making sure to choose the right type of operation for the network to be using(usually other and then the 1st one--an example of the setup can be viewed, make sure to choose the right one.) then make sure they both have the same network name WORKGROUP: WORKGROUP once again. Enable File Sharing on both computers. Just Finish the Wizard on both of these computers......

Make sure to turn off the windows firewall on the LAN connection and WAN connection, I personally hate the windows firewall because it just doesn't work, Avast! can protect your computer just by itself.

After doing that and if you still can't see each other, then unplug the internet and turn off all firewalls and virus protection software. Turn off both computers, unplug router for at least 10 secs, plug router back in, turn back on computers.

After doing all that you should be setup and ready to go. Just make sure the printer is shared and have at it.:whistling:

We play LAN Gaming about twice a month so I've networked alot of computers onto networks.

If ya just can't seem to figure it out then you could try using UltraVNC, Remote Desktop, or RealVNC...these will allow you to control the other computer on your network, and also support copy and pasting. So you could potentially take over the other computer and then copy the file over and make it print on the computer plugged into the printer.

Also my sig is the little thing under my post in this case"
My Specs--*Yes I know getting old*
Asus P4P800-E
Intel Pentium 3.20E GHz w/800mhz FSB
......etc

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Wow! I never could figure out that printer deal.....but I did look at some remote software like you recommended and found one called LogMeIn which is really neat! I didn't find out what the problem was on the network printing (though I suspect it has to do with the desktop computer) but I did find something a whole lot cooler! Thanks!