Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows will only boot in safe mode <HELP>

• Please log in to reply

dirkalbright

dirkalbright

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey, I installed windows service pack 2 on a HP laptop and since then the computer will only boot in safe mode and not regularly. When I try to boot regularly it takes me to the page with the last known good configuration and safe mode options on it, but when I try last known good or normal boot, it go to the windows logo screen then flashes to a quick blue screen, then restarts. I have no idea how to fix this, can anyone help me out??
Thanks

Advertisements

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Insert origninal setup disk for XPSP1...when in safe mode...open DOS command at the start...run...then run sfc /scannow

Any change...?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

go to the windows logo screen then flashes to a quick blue screen, then restarts.

does this mean an actual windows blue screen with an error? i'm assuming it's too fast for you to get the error right?
In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot into NORMAL WINDOWS. This should result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

dirkalbright

dirkalbright

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

go to the windows logo screen then flashes to a quick blue screen, then restarts.

does this mean an actual windows blue screen with an error? i'm assuming it's too fast for you to get the error right?
In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot into NORMAL WINDOWS. This should result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

I couldnt get into the startup and recovery menu. I did everything you said but when i got to the properties tab, none of the advanced tabs took me to the "settings" and "startup and recovery" section. What next?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you right clicked on the "my computer" icon and chose properties correct? then chose the "advanced" tab correct?

dirkalbright

dirkalbright

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

you right clicked on the "my computer" icon and chose properties correct? then chose the "advanced" tab correct?

Yep i right clicked computer and then clicked properties. But there is no "advanced" tab. Only "general","shortcut", and "security"... and each of their advanced optionsdont take me to what you said.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
AH...methinks you clicked a shortcut

press start, then run, then type "explorer.exe" (without the quotes), on the left side do you see "my computer" ? right click that and do the steps above (the properties, advanced, etc..)

dirkalbright

dirkalbright

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok i did the steps to do the automatic restart, but it wont let me do it because it says the "alerter" isnt started. It walked me through the steps to start the alerter, but then it told me that the alerter can not be started in safe mode.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you may want to try this...

Users who have a corrupt or missing boot.ini file, are running Microsoft Windows XP, and have a Microsoft Windows XP CD can rebuild the systems boot.ini file by following the below steps.

1. Insert the Microsoft Windows XP CD into the computer. Note: If you have a system recovery CD or restore CD these steps will likely not work for your computer.
2. Reboot the computer with the CD and press any key when prompted to press any key to boot from the CD. If you do not receive this prompt and/or are not able to boot from the CD ...you will have to set the bios boot order to start from th CD drive first..
3. Once in the Microsoft Setup menu press R to open the recovery console.
4. Select the operating system you wish to use; if you only have Windows XP on the computer you will only have one prompt.
5. Once prompted for the password enter the Admin password and press enter.
6. Once at the command prompt type bootcfg /rebuild to start the rebuild process.
7. The rebuild process will step you through a number of steps depending upon how many operating systems you have on the computer and how the computer is setup. Below is a listing of the common steps you are likely going to encounter.

* Prompt for the identified versions of Windows installed. When you receive this prompt press Y if the bootcfg command properly identified each of the Windows operating systems installed on the computer. It is important to realize this command will only detect Windows XP, Windows 2000, and Windows NT installations.

* Prompt to enter the load identifier. This is the name of the operating system for the boot.ini. For example, Microsoft Windows XP Home users would enter "Microsoft Windows XP Home edition".

* Prompt to Enter OS load options. When this prompt is received type /fastdetect to automatically detect the available options.

8. Once you have completed all the available options in the rebuild and are back at the prompt type exit to reboot the computer.

dirkalbright

dirkalbright

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok I got it to work. I did a boot from the windows xp cd and went to the recovery console, then I just ran chkdsk /p and chkdsk /r and it started working. Thanks for everyones help.