Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is this laptop worth getting to replace my desktop?

• Please log in to reply

mark2512

mark2512

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hey,
I'm currently searching for a new laptop to replace my aging PC. Ive found one i quite like and can afford however I'm dont have a huge knowledge of computers and so I would just feel more confident parting with my money if you experts gave the specs a once over.

The laptop i wish to buy is an: Acer Aspire 5684WLMI
Here are its specs of ebuyer:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T5600 - 1.83GHz (x2), 667MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache
RAM: 2048MB DDR2-667MHz
Hard Drive: 160GB Serial ATA 5400rpm
Screen: 15.4" Widescreen TFT (1280x800 - 16:10)with CrystalBrite Technology
Optical Drive: DVD±RW Super Multi Double Layer
Graphics: NVidia GeForce Go7600SE supporting 256MB TurboCache
Wireless LAN: 802.11a/b/g Networking
Bluetooth: Bluetooh Enabled
Weight: 2.8kg
Warranty: 1 Year Collect and Return
Operating System: Windows XP Media Center Edition
Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000
Flash Memory Card Reader (MMC, MS, MS-pro, SD, XD)
PCMCIA Type II Slot
ExpressCard Slot
S-Video Output
DVI Output
Firewire Port
Built-In 1.3 MegaPixel Camera
Free Bluetooth VOIP Phone

Im an avid gamer and my PC has always been clinging onto the end of the Minimum Specs of games and now id like to once again be back up there in the recommended specs.

My Current PC is:
1.8Ghz Intel Pentium 4
512MB RAM
80GB Hardrive
ATI Radeon 9550

Preferably as a bench mark id like to play Elder Scrolls VI: Oblivion on at least med-high specs. Here are the oblivion specs:

Recommended:
3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
1 GB System RAM
ATI X800 series, Nvidia GeForce 6800 series, or higher video card
Minimum System Requirements:
Windows XP
512MB System RAM
2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
128MB Direct3D compatible video card and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;
8x DVD-ROM drive
4.6 GB free hard disk space
DirectX 9.0c (included)
DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
Keyboard, Mouse
Supported Video Card Chipsets:
ATI X1800 series
ATI X1300 series
ATI X850 series
ATI x800 series
ATI x700 series
ATI x600 series
ATI Radeon 9800 series
ATI Radeon 9700 series
ATI Radeon 9600 series
ATI Radeon 9500 series
ATI Radeon 9000 series
NVIDIA Geforce 7800 series
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series
NVIDIA GeForce FX series

One thing ive noticed is that the laptops graphics card isnt stated on the supported chipsets.

Also this may sound like a retard question but if a laptop is dual cored do i times the speed by 2? So 1.83Ghz becomes 3.66???

Cheers
Mark.

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
most current (2006) video games will run faster on a 3 GHz single-core processor than on a 2GHz dual-core processor (of the same core architecture), despite the dual-core theoretically having more processing power, because they are incapable of efficiently using more than one core at a time. the reason being games arent coded for duel processors as of yet.you'd be better off with a 3 gig processor than a 2 gig dual but ala in all thats a nice system you described

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
that is not a bad laptop at all but it will never be able to replace a desktop

and i bet for the price your paying you could have a way faster desktop system one that is more reliable better performing and has better upgrade options for in the future

you could have a core 2 duo E6600
1-2 gigs of RAm and a decent graphics card for the price your paying for the laptop

what price are you paying if you dont mind me asking???

if you dont have a need for the portability of a laptop a desktop is the best thing for you and for playing games thats for sure

if thats the way you want to sway then i can help you place together a parts list if you wish

And no just because its a dual core CPU doesnt mean that you double teh speed it means that the CPU has two cores which is kind of like having 2 CPU's in one computer. this means that one core can be doing one thing compleatly sepeate to teh other ore which is heaps better for multi-tasking
dual core is the way to go because newer games will start to introduce support for dual cores and with teh introduction of DX10 a dual core is a muct purchasing a single core system at teh moment would be a waste of money because you would already be out or date

but thats my opinion

troppo

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Laptops are an expensive way to compute. They break down more often and are more expensive to repair than desktops. The two year extended warranty is a must for all laptops in my opinion. If you want the screen covered from breakage then add the breakage warranty.

As someone else pointed out, desktops are better for gamers.

Right now there are at least two class action lawsuits against Dell covering at least 5 different models.

mark2512

mark2512

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Im paying around £770 for the laptop but thats excluding VAT so itll be nearer £900 with it.

I really need a laptop because ill be leaving for university later this year and i dont want to particually be lugging around a desktop home and back and a laptop will also allow me to work around campus more easily.

Ive always known a desktop would be the best but i just wanna know how well this laptop will play games, what would you say is the most important factor in buying a gaming laptop? eg. RAM, Processor, Graphics card. Also are their any laptops specificially designed for gaming (ive had a look but to no real results) or any you guys particually recommend?

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
:whistling: im not sure what the price your paying is in american dollars but you'll be happy with this acer you decsribed im no expert just a user.dont geek yourself out of a nice system... :help: buy it try it if its not what you thought it was or what you need take it back yes they make gamming laptops but not in the range im guessing your paying for this acer. i know here in florida that acer is 599.00,i just checked. go for it my friend.is my unexperted opinion :blink:

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well if you are going to university then it would be a great laptop for you

but dont expect mirecles from the thing as far as gaming goes, laptops are not meant to play extreamlly intensive games, sure you will b able to play some games but they wont be extreamlly detailed or have a high FPS

its fine for every day computing an some games but as i said dont expect mirecles

troppo