Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New PC Build question PLEASE HELP!

• Please log in to reply

m9105826

m9105826

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Alright I'll start off with my build and then explain what's wrong

Build:
CoolerMaster Stacker 830 Case
ASUS P5n32 SLI SE mobo
Intel Core 2 Extreme x6800
2 x 1Gig Patriot RAM
ASUS Nvidia 7950 GX2
2 x Western Digital Raptor 74 GB 10k RPM HDD
XClio 650 Watt modular PSU now a Thermaltake ToughPower 850 Watt modular PSU

Here's the whole story:
I bought the original pieces in August of 2006. I originally had a lower end core 2 duo that I borrowed from a buddy while I was waiting for the Core 2 Extreme processor. Everything worked just fine then. Then my core 2 extreme and my liquid cooling system came. I put them in and went to start the computer up to no avail. This was in mid-September. I thought it was a mobo issue because it was acting the exact same way that a previous build of mine had, and that ended up being a DOA motherboard. So I sent the board back to ASUS for the warrantied RMA, and they sent it back in mid-November with a note saying that it tested just fine. So I hooked everything back up and it ran flawlessly (with the Core 2 Extreme and stock cooling, the liquid cooling was leaking but it was non-conductive liquid so it didn't fry everything). It worked for about 2 days, then suddenly decided it wasn't going to work anymore. I ran my own diagnostics and found that while setting up the liquid cooling I had messed up the power supply when I was trying to get all of the bubbles out. So, I figured I would need to upgrade my PSU anyway so I went ahead and bought the new Thermaltake 850 Watt PSU. I installed it today to no avail. It is simply not working. Heres what's going on:

The HDD LED turns on and stays solid (which isn't normal).

All of the fans turn on.

I know that everything is plugged in correctly, I have double and triple checked every connection.

The DVD-RW drive opens and closes.

There is no activity from the HDDs.

There is no POST screen.

There are no warning beeps from the motherboard.

The green power LED on the mobo is lit up. It's supposed to mean all is working correctly.

Please help, I go back to college on the 14th and while I'm there I don't have the time to figure out what's wrong. I have put a LOT of money into this rig, and I simply cannot figure out what's going on. I'm not new to this, this is probably my 9th or 10th PC build, but I am stumped. I have tried everything I know.

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
if your not getting a post that could mean micro proccessor L1 cache burn out, if your able go back to the lower end processor to see if you get a post keep the side open and turn it on look for any glowing red to white hot chips an snatch the plug out of it before its 2 late but it might already be to late i hope not

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
ok... can you get into your bios settings at all? sounds like only voltage your getting is 12 which is what it takes to run fans,cd's,an an hd's. if you put a cd in does it spin up? it could be the advanced power management or apm this might be a stupid question but what about you cmos battery ? im getting the impression no bios no nothing except 12v power to the things that require 12v. have you seen a check sum error at any time? it might be something shorting out thats why your pc is playing dead.attaching a power connector to a storage drive will cause this.recheck everything unplug an then replug... any burning smells you recall?

natdaddy1230

natdaddy1230

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
i had the same prob it was my cpu fan was not cliped on all the way. try geting a new cpu fan my computer started working as soon as cliped the fan on all the way

m9105826

m9105826

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Actually, there are some interesting things here.

1. I did try the lower end CPU again, and it didnt work either. I know it still works because it's in another computer right now running flawlessly.

2. the 12V thing is interesting. I don't understand it comletely though, and would like to expand on it. I can't even get the thing to post though, so no chance of getting into the bios. There werent any burning smells. When it was working, it crashed in the middle of my brother playing Oblivion. Then after that it was starting up for about 30 seconds at a time. Now it won't do anything at all. Thanks for the replies! Hope you can continue to help.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
out of 64 bits of L1 cache memory 5 or so is committed to cmos memory.. if that little bit of memory gets corrupted by whatever eg. power either to much or not enough. then sad to say your dead in the water have you tried something simple as taking the cmos battery out for a minute or 2.. replacing it? what bothers me an im sure is killing you is that no bios whatsoever just 12 volts of power going to stuff that requires it

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
look at your capacitors are they nice an flat looking on top or swollen ? try this... remove everything except keyboard, monitor, ram, remove the card if you have onboard video. take the cmos battery out clear the cmos try rebooting

m9105826

m9105826

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
When you say everything except for keyboard, monitor, and RAM, do you mean to leave the CPU in as well? I don't think the CPU is dead in the water, I've tried two of them, one of which I know to be working flawlessly. And I did try the CMOS battery, no luck there either.

Edited by m9105826, 05 January 2007 - 03:48 PM.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
no leave the cpu in

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
unplug the power supply from the wall take your mobo out turn it over an get a magnifing glass and follow each circuit to its end i think you said earlier it just went blank while playing a game an then on a reboot attempt nothing but fans an a steady light on your hd plus cd tray opens. the more i think on this i cant help but conclude the problem is in the board itself.theres power going thru the mobo but its a steady 12 v.have you looked at those capacitors ? look at every thing thru a magnifing glass folowing those circuits i know you said you sent the board back but this hasnt been after everything went blank has it? its the circuits that control the the processors access to memory and allows the flow of data to and from your devices what about your chipset? thats what i keep going back to because of the none regulation of voltage required to operate bios cmos. this is what bugs me.without a meter to see whats not getting the proper voltage im sorry to say im at an end to my suggestions

m9105826

m9105826

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks a lot to everyone who has tried to help me. I'm going to try to send the board back again, but if they won't take it, I've been looking at the new ASUS Striker since it came out. But that means a new Windows installation (which is a pain in the @$$ when doing RAID), and a loss of everything I have. Oh, well. I'll try a few more things. I'll trace all of the circuits with a mag glass. The capasitors are all flat and normal. This thing is driving me insane.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
me too :whistling: sorry we coudnt get 'r' done...good luck an i'd like to know the outcome :blink: