Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound stops working randomly

• Please log in to reply

Azma

Azma

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I am running Windows XP on a Sony Viao PC. Using the speakers that came with PC.

The sound works fine, but then after a random period of time - whether it is a few minutes or a few hours - the sound stops working. I have tried absolutely everything, checking to see if mute is not on, trying different media players etc. etc.

It has been like this for over a year is frustrating. I have to restart the computer to make the sound work again.

Any idea what I could do to try to resolve this issue please?

Many thanks and Happy New Year to all :whistling:

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hello there.

Happy new year to you too!

Do you have the latest soundcard drivers?
How old Is the PC?

DeadEye

DeadEye

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
windowsupdate.microsoft.com - try downloading the optional hardware and software drivers, they might contain a sound card fix. If you are using a sound card that is not integrated into your motherboard, try going to there website and downloading the latest drivers for your card.