Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Hard drive

• Please log in to reply

defender13

defender13

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
I just ordered new computer parts and i got a new hard drive with it all. I want to use the one i have now and the new one in combination but i want to keep everything i have on the one that i use now. How can i use all of the data that my old one(one im using now) along with windows xp on it with my new stuff.Are there any guides online for it or links that anyone can help me out with.Thanks.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You are a bit vague on what you are trying to do here. You can install the new HD as a slave to your old HD and use it as a Data storage drive. Just make your own folders on the drive and put all data from the old drive over to it. After installing the drive you can format it in computer management>disk management.

http://www.bleepingc...utorial116.html

SRX660

defender13

defender13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
yeah that basically what i want to do but if i do that will i still be able to use my windows xp on my old hard drive because my computer manufacturer only gave me the recovery disk so im without the actual boot disk for windows and i cant afford to buy it unless its absolutely necessary.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
The best thing to do would be leave your original drive c hard drive as master, install the new one as slave and use it for your data storage. This will leave your original hard drive intact as is.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
If you add it as a new data drive, you just need to partition it and create a filesystem. This does not effect your boot disk.

Some disk companies have programs which allow you to transfer all the data from the old boot disk to their new disk. At which point you can save the old disk for a bit, to make sure everything is ok, then you can wipe it out and use it as a data disk.

If you don't need access to the data all the time, you can get a USB case for the disk and only attach/power it on when you need it, which is good for backups.