Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BRYL and ubuntu

• Please log in to reply

imdumb

imdumb

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hi
my name is sangam and i am dumb as u al kno.

well i need some help. i want to create a partition in my hard drive and install linux in it. i saw my friendz pc and some videos at you tube. i think linux is a decade ahead of vista. therefore i want it. specially beryl.

can some one please :whistling: guide me how to partition my hard drive and den install linux on the other partition. this way ill b able to back up my windows and also my files. my friendz told me about u guys and hope ull b informative. thnxx a lot in advance

my pc specs as follows:
processor: intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 cpu's)
Chip Type Intel 8291G/GV/910GL express chipset
Memory(RAM): 512 (shows 504 in dxdiag)
HDD:250 GB (i want 100 gb for windows and rest for linux)

itll b great if u help. i m not sure about wht else info u wud need. plz reply soon and im hoping u people will correct me if i was wrong about something. ill b really gratefull if u people help. thnxx in adv.

sangam

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Youll not get beryl to run on that system its pretty graphics intensive its a myth that it runs faster than vista with all the eye candy on, its buggy as [bleep] and very dependant on your choice of hardware.

To partition for linux it tells you when you install what you need but youll need about 10Gb min for the home partition, 1Gb for your swap and if you need a storage space whatever you like on FAT32. Its all covered in the installation documentation and there is a tonne of guides just google for them.

imdumb

imdumb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
k
so do u mean that the partition would b made when im installing linux?

and
r u saying that my pc cannot hold beryl or do u mean that beryl isnt that good. plz explain. :blink:

and i know that linux is free so can u also tell me where to get it from since its under gnu license.

and i have enuff hard disk space. i have 250 gb of space so i can give enuff space to everything. i just wanna know is it a good idea to install linux and if it is please guide me how to. :whistling:

thnxx for replying tho :help:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can partition it when you install, to get it type ubuntu into your adress bar and hit CTRL+Enter, like i said whole tonne of guides there is also a fantastic wiki.

On beryl both counts are true it will neither run nor should you really try it its pretty unstable and doesn't run on all systems and when it does run its not easy to get it to that point.

The main thing you need to learn when you start using linux is that unless you have a bunch of linux experts sitting next to you the whole time you need to get your own info fortunately its easy to find a google search and 15 minutes would have answered all your questions, http://ubuntuguide.o...iki/Ubuntu:Edgy is a good place to start.

Edited by warriorscot, 06 January 2007 - 05:59 AM.