Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop help starting up

• Please log in to reply

aldo2624

aldo2624

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ok i was doing something on the laptop and someting popped up, it shut down automatically. So i tried to turn it on, it asked me if i wanted safe mode or regular mode so i put regular mode then a blue screen pops up saying 'a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you have seen this error screen, restart your computer..etc..etc..' so i restart and the exact same thing happens over and over.i try safe mode and it still happens..theres no way i can use my computer because everytime i turn it on the blue screen comes out. Does anyone know if there's a way of fixing this? because if there's not im going to have to return it (this has been happening since a week ago and i cant find a way to fix it)..thank you for reading this

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Are you saying it's under warranty? If so, absolutely return it.

If not under warranty, let's figure out what's wrong.

Have you installed anything recently? Software, hardware, updates?

You could run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). Courtesy dsenette. This should tell us if the hard drive or the file system has a problem.
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors