Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

multi core and xp

• Please log in to reply

abnranger

abnranger

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just built a new machine with an AMD 64 x2 5000+ CPU, ASUS M2N32 sli deluxe wireless mother board ect ect. My question is do I need to reinstall windows home to get the full performance out of this machine (please no switch to XP 64 suggestions, I'm waiting for vista to get the drivers for the rest of my hardware).

I am showing 2 CPU's in the Task Manager and my G15 Logitech keyboard shows 2 CPU's. I've heard rumors that unless you do a full reload the kernel won't allow full potential. I don't want to do this as I have 30 GB's of programs loaded, not counting user data.
Any one knowledgeable in this field? :whistling:

tia,
Bill

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You don't need to reinstall anything if you don't want to, Windows just finds the two cores and therefore applications that can use them will do so.