Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

WinXP, running slow, no internet, no restore

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Well here is the story.

I have a Compag Presario 2032NX desktop PC. I know that's ancient for some of you, but what can I say. It's an Athlon 3000 running at the standard 2.2GHz, and I have 1G of RAM. Now to the issue. I went several months with no ISP at home. I was working way too many hours and could do anything I needed while at work. I finally decided to get internet service at home and went with broadband (Comcast Cable high speed). The tech showed up and installed the cable modem and some software/drivers. Right away I noticed that my PC was running slower (not just slow internet- everything). I was also getting random errors about not displaying web pages (both in IE and Firefox). I thought maybe I was just behind the curve so I ran Windows Update. I used the custom option and installed (I think) 46 or 47 update patches. The computer was still running extremely slow. I have over time installed, ran, and removed a ton of software and made some hardware changes so at the recommendation of someone else I ran a registry cleaning software. Boy was that a mistake. Now my system can't find the driver for my network card so I have no internet. The rest of the PC is even slower. I have had all kinds of issues. I even tried using the Windows Restore function and it won't work. If I try to access it using the Start Menu I get no response at all. I also tried accessing by right clicking My Computer, and then I get a message about not finding the restore volume. I guess I should point out that this system came with no disks, but instead has a partition on the hard drive where restore software is kept. Unfortunately the registry cleaner that I used was a freebie and did not have a back-up function either.

Am I completely hosed here?

I have thought about buying a system utility suite to try and help diagnose this. Are any of them worth the money? Are they going to help me at all? I have looked at Iolo System Mechanic and Norton SystemWorks but don't want to pony up the dough unless they'll actually help.

I would appreciate any help or guidance. Tips on where to start, advice on decent utilities software, etc.

Thanks in advance,

:blink: :whistling:

Edited by dynrat, 02 January 2007 - 10:07 PM.