Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook

• Please log in to reply

Gammy

Gammy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Recently lost about a week's worth of e-mails in both the in box and the sent message box. It seemed weird enough, but then today another group of emails disappeared. For instance, there is a significant gap in e-mail dates - i.e. every e-mail between 3-17-05 and 3-29-05 has disappeared. There were emails there, because I read them - just had not moved them to another folder. The second batch disappeared in the same way - leaving a total of 12 days of mising e-mails.

Any thoughts on what could have caused this? Are these e-mails retrievable?

Thanks for your help!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
In Outlook, click tools then options then other then auto archive to see what the settings are, then check what it has for move old items to

WyldStallyyn

WyldStallyyn

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello.

Outlook has several "view" options, and it sounds like that might be what's happening to you. Is it the email notes that you have read that are disappearing? If so, that's what it is.

Here's how to change it back so that you can see all of your email notes:

1. Go to the VIEW menu and choose ARRANGE BY
2. Go all the way to the bottom of the next menu and choose CURRENT VIEW
3. On this last menu, be sure the first option, MESSAGES, is the one that is checked. If not, click on it to change it to that option, and that will display all of the email notes in that folder. (You might notice that one of the options here is UNREAD MESSAGES - and that's probably what it's set to now).

If that doesn't fix it, let me know. Sometimes a folder can get corrupted and cause problems like that, but most of the time, it's one of those options.

:tazz:

WyldStallyyn

Gammy

Gammy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks to both of you for your responses but I'm wondering if I have a different version of MS Outlook than what you're referring to.

WyldStallyyn - I don't have the options you mentioned in the "view" menu available to me. I have lost just a specific set of dates, though not earlier ones; i.e. No e-mails available to me in the "in" box or "sent" box for the period of time mentioned earlier, however, I do have e-mails dated before that time still available as well as newer emails still available.

Keith - I checked the "settings" you mentioned and it appeared the emails were in a particular location, but they were not to be found anywhere.

Any other additional suggestions folks?

Thanks so much.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get a trial of tune up use file recovery undelete, show only files in good condition, restore to a folder you create for this and move the ones you need from there.

TuneUp

You may have a use for this

Back up 1

or this

Folder back up