Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I.E 7 Stalling/Freezing

• Please log in to reply

clubfoot

clubfoot

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi,

Since I installed Internet Explorer 7 when it was released, it freezes/stalls for 15 seconds (approx) when I start to type in to search boxes on any kind of search engine. (at least i think this is when the problem started :whistling: )

Its driving me crazy! When it happens, whatever other programme I have running at that time also freezes for the same amount of time.

I have done a virus scan with norton 2006 Internet security, also with Spybot. Nothing came up.

If someone out there knows a solution to this could you please let me know,

Thanks in advance

Rob

Advertisements

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

does this only happen when you have 1 or more browsers open at the same time, and does your pc stall when all browsers are shut and you run just programs by themselves.

firefox is a good alternative - http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ if you dont already have it.

oh yeah ie7 has a fishing filter that comes with it, i turned mine off because i found it slowed things up.

cheers...xxx1

clubfoot

clubfoot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi xxx1,

Thanks for your reply :whistling:

It stalls if I have one browser open, with 1 tab, or if I have 2 open.

If I have I.E shut down, everything is fine. Which made me think that its something with I.E itself.

I will give Firefox a try and see how that goes. I did have it before but went back to I.E, old habbits :blink:

Thanks again for your reply

Rob

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
have you tried turning off the phising filter to see if that makes any difference.

cheers...xxx1

clubfoot

clubfoot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi,

Yeah I turned it off, still the same. Ive just cleared my my browsing history etc and it still freezes up.

Thanks again

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
do you have all high priority updates if not go here - http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

and driver updates for the modem.

cheers...xxx1

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

btw do you have dial up or broadband?.

cheers...xxx1

DeadEye

DeadEye

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling? Is it doing it while you have other applications open? Does it do it when you try and open a certain page? Does it do it while trying to load an ActiveX control?

If you notice any type of pattern in the crashes then post back whats happening and well go from there. If an error message pops up when it does it, post the error back here. Im off to microsoft to do some research :blink:

Internet exploder isnt my personal choice :whistling: and I removed it and soon as it installed itself, I personally use firefox.

Edited by DeadEye, 05 January 2007 - 12:36 PM.

clubfoot

clubfoot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi DeadEye,

Thanks for your reply :whistling:

It happens if I have I.E running alone or with other apps open. It happens everytime I click on the search box in google. I click on the box, the cursor flashes for 5 seconds and then it just freezes for 15-20 seconds. It happens occasionally with other sites, but of late, its google evrytime.

No error message flashes up.

I would prefer to keep I.E if there a solution to this, but if not I will give firefox a try.

Thanks again for your reply

Rob

xxx1: I have broadband

Edited by clubfoot, 06 January 2007 - 06:26 AM.

DeadEye

DeadEye

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Does it just crash, and close the process? Does it crash and pop up with some type of error message? I could not find anything at microsoft.com similar to your problem - though if you could get the error message I wouldnt have to search through the rest of the 20 pages of information :whistling:

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
try changing your search bars
go to tools>>internet options>>search>>change your default search
click on find more providers
choose another for a default search

clubfoot

clubfoot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi,

No Error Message Flashes Up

It just stalls for about 15 seconds and then all is fine again. If I do another search without closing the browser, its fine. It just seemed to be the first search I did after opening the browser.

But now it alos freezes up, again just the first time after opening, when im scrolling up or down a page. It lets me scroll for a few seconds and then it freezes.

I tried switching between apps when it does this but they then crash. I then have to use Ctrl, Alt + Del to pop up task manager as this is the only way to close the apps.

Its getting a bit strange :whistling:

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

can you temporarily turn off your nortons 2006 Internet security while browsing just to see that its not causing any problems while browsing.

cheers...xxx1

DeadEye

DeadEye

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Lol, same thing I was going to suggest. Norton has a history off..messing with Apps. Ive searched through Microsoft and can find nothing about your problem :whistling:.

ps: xxx1 you stole my siggy :blink:

clubfoot

clubfoot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ive just turned off norton completely, no difference :whistling:

Thanks for your help guys, i think im going to have to switch to firefox

Thanks Rob