Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

restarts for every one or two hours.

• Please log in to reply

shyampcgeek

shyampcgeek

• Pip
  • 3 posts
my pc automatically restarts for every 1 or 2 hours . i tried OS reinstallation and also i recently fixed my processor fan on the top of the processoe using thermal paste but the problem remains.please give me good solution. also cleared NVRAM. but no go.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Random reboots are usually caused by heat, memory, driver issues or the power supply. You need to examine each possible cause to either correct it or rule it out. Start with heat. Are the fans clean and working? Is the heat sink free of dust? Access the bios and check the cpu temperature. You can download speedfan (do a search for it, download it...it is free) and use it to check temperatures and voltates. You can test the memory with memtest86. Get it at http://www.memtest.org/. You can check the system event log for clues as to the possible cause. Go to start, my computer, right click manage, event viewer. Check for items with a red x corresponding to the time of the event. Right click on the event, view properties for details. You can sent a report to M$ and view their knowledge base for possible solutions. And lastly, don't overlook the power supply as the cause.

Edited by austin_o, 03 January 2007 - 08:05 AM.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I would try the power supply I think it should be the first place 2 look.

shyampcgeek

shyampcgeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thank you i will try all the things. and will come back with the result.