Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Pro installation shutdown

• Please log in to reply

2001n4ever

2001n4ever

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I had Windows XP pro installed. Everything was working fine. I later installed Service Pack 2. Then problems arose. The computer would freeze often. When I used the control panel add/remove programs, the computer froze while I was trying to remove SP2. Therefore I had to restart the computer. When I did it took a long time to pass the Welcome screen in the boot. I figured some parts of SP2 were not completely removed. Now I want to install a new version of Windows XP Pro and start over from scratch. When I put in the installation Cd and select boot from CD, it boots normally. When I reach the license agreement, the computer will shut down. Sometimes I am able to get to the part where it asks if there is a previous version of Windows. But the average shut down place is around the time the I get to the license agreement. Therefore I cannot get any further to install the new version of Windows XP. When I start the computer over and do not select the boot from CD option, the computer will work normally. It will not shut down like how it does at the license agreement part, but it still is functioning wrong as if SP2 was not complelty removed. Its only when I reach to the license agreement portion the shut down happens. If anyone can help me so I can figure this problem out, please tell me.......thanks.....!

Advertisements

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Download the utility programs from the hard drive manufacturer to check the hard drive to see if its OK.

If there is nothing on the drive you need to keep I would delete the partition and create a new one. When you boot from the XP disk it will find the drive and ask you to create a partition. I find it best to do a clean install when possible, make sure you have all the drivers you need before you install if possible.

You could also slipstream XP with SP2, its not to difficult to do. There are plenty of instruction on the internet,

2001n4ever

2001n4ever

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Download the utility programs from the hard drive manufacturer to check the hard drive to see if its OK.

If there is nothing on the drive you need to keep I would delete the partition and create a new one. When you boot from the XP disk it will find the drive and ask you to create a partition. I find it best to do a clean install when possible, make sure you have all the drivers you need before you install if possible.

You could also slipstream XP with SP2, its not to difficult to do. There are plenty of instruction on the internet,

I have several hardrives, and the same thing happens when I try to do a clean install on each one individually. Plus it does not let me get to where I choose partitions.