Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dead Computer?

• Please log in to reply

Sinfamous

Sinfamous

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
A friend of mine dropped off his computer to me this morning. It's a AMD Athalon 2800, E-Machine(T2825).
The computer has worked for him for a couple of years, and he said all of a sudden, he turned it on one day, and the monitor wasn't getting a signal. So, I opened it up, and there seems to be power, the CPU Fan is spinning. I thought maybe it was the RAM, so I took out the RAM, and replaced it, that didn't work. Then I figured maybe it was a bad card connected. So I disconnected each added card, one at a time, still nothing. The computer doesn't beep, no BIOS, nothing on the monitor. Can't seem to figure this out. Is it possible the computer kicked the bucket? Bad motherboard? Bad something? Any ideas?

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
It doesnt sound 2 good.
The basic test is to tuen on the computer with only the mother board and CPU. The computer should beep for no ram.
If not check the capacitors.
If nothing yet there r basicly 2 things left.
1- try another PSU its along shot but maybe.
2- eather the cpu or Mother Board are doa (dead on ariving 2 u)

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
The first thing to check is the power supply, especially with an emachine. There are several voltages which are needed, so you can't be sure it is working just because the fans are on.

You can buy a power supply tester, something like:

http://www.xoxide.co...ply-tester.html

I bought one, which a friend referred me to this product.

You can manually check the power supply if you have volt meter, but then you need to know what each connector should be first.