Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista gaming..

• Please log in to reply

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Will xp games run on vista? Quite a stupid question, i think they will but i just want to make sure. Also, will there be vista-only games and software (Besides what's included in vista) that companies release that isn't going to work on xp? I'm a pretty big gamer, and I think i'm going to upgrade, but I'm still debating it. If games will still be fine on xp for the next year or so, i'm going to wait a year (I just reinstalled and xp has never run so fast in my life).

Any advice on when?

EDIT: Oh yeah one last thing, which version should i get? If you click my xfire profile in my signiture and scroll to the bottom of the page, my system specs are listed..let me know.

Edited by MR0624, 03 January 2007 - 01:13 PM.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Gaming will be a big part of Vista, and only Vista will get DX10. There may some compatability issues with older games, especially with the 64-bit edition, but I'm guessing they'll be mostly resolved over time.

Microsoft is also changing how they are marketing their games. Looks for "Games for Windows" packaging that's designed to look similar to console games packaging.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Gamer too and a vista user for the past few months, Vista handles games pretty well, probably better than XP ever did and i havent had any performance hits(opposite performance seems to on occasion be better). Ive had two games not work out of the ones ive tried, Homeworld2(old now but still good gfx and the mods for it are amazing) and scarface(which i wasnt too fussed about playing) everything else has worked and considering im using the last RC thats pretty impressive when its released ill probably get Vista the OEM is actually cheap as long as you arent buying 32 & 64bit, a 64bit OEM of Ultimate Vista is only £40 more than XP pro and Home premium is the same as MCE 2005 which i have to say is a pretty good price less than i expected.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
CSS didn't like 64-bit Vista RC2. I felt like a hacker playing it, I could see through walls and shoot through them too!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
lol, i bet others wern't all that impressed.
Comrade General, you won't see any games that will require vista for at least 1 year after the release of it. The reason? You are required to have vista to run DX10. Unless you love fooling around with software, have the lastest and greatest and don't mind to bugs for it. Upgrade right away, otherwise the upgrade won't be necessary till about a 1 year down the road, maybe even longer, can't see it being any shorter.
Admin, did i hear you say somewhere else around the forums that when you buy a version of vista that it'll come with two discs, one with the 64 bit version and one with the 32 bit version?
James

Edited by james_8970, 04 January 2007 - 12:50 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Retail has both ive been looking at the prices it also costs twice as much as the single disk versions. Almost as soon as it released there will be Vista only games, UT2007 will be out this month(crosses finger) it should be the first DX10 game, it wont be DX10 only itll have a DX9 mode but itll be the first game that you're gonna want Vista to play if you have the hardware. Like we have never really saw XP games only there are advantages to using Vista for new games as you'll find most will work better with the newer OS.

I didnt have any problem with CSS it actually runs better did you remember to not install from the disk but download it from steam otherwise youll be using the 32bit version you automatically DL the 64bit from steam if you use a 64 bit OS. bugs wise i dont expect to see a huge number Vista has allready had a long beta period and the corporate version has been out for a month or two, there shouldnt be any major bugs there isnt that many bugs in the RC let alone the final release itll have bugs but i wouldnt expect them to be bad ones.

Besides seeing through walls is a decided advantage in CSS.