Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

core 2 duo

• Please log in to reply

dancingcleo

dancingcleo

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi, thinking of building a new core 2 duo computer. I do a bit of gaming and general surfing etc. on my computer and am wondering which speed of cpu would be best for me. I'm thinking of going for the e6600 as I have heard it is the best value but I don't know if this is a bit of an overkill for what I want to do?

Also would appreciate any recommendations on motherboards. I think the MSI P965 neo-f looks pretty good for only £60. Has anyone had any experience with it?
Thanks.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
the E6600 is most definitely the best value out of the Core 2 Duos.

And the best Core 2 Duo mobo (if you have a NVIDIA graphics card(s)):
EVGA Socket T (LGA 775) NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Motherboard

MSI is generally a good brand though, along with Gigabyte. Anything from either of those will do you well also.

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
i recommend that you buy the best parts your money can afford atm. Technology ages very fast so just stick with the 6600 and it will last you longer.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
If you're not planning on going SLI in the future, then I would definitely consider this mobo:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128012

It's performance is on par with 680i boards and it's known to be an excellent overclocker. The price/performance ratio really can't be beat.